72 Chevelle convert auto to manual transmission - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM

Last journal entry: Time to drive..
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

72 Chevelle convert auto to manual transmission

Hey all,

I was wanting to convert my 72 Chevelle from an auto to a manual.
Can someone tell me where to find the correct info? Such as what trans would fit best, pedals, linkage and so on?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

A couple things you need to ask yourself are 1) what do i want to do with this and 2) whats my budget.

The quickest and easiest is to hop on Team Chevelle and find someone there who is doing a 4speed manual (usually a Muncie, but sometimes a T10) to overdrive swap. Hopefully they'll also be removing the clutch linkage and you can pick up almost everything for about a grand, trans included.

The stuff that fits best is the OEM stuff from the factory cars. The reproduction stuff probably fits the bill, but it can take a lot of rework sometimes to fit properly.

Im sure one of the catalog companies has a 4 speed install kit. Youll need a bellhousing, gearbox, shifter, shifter linkage, clutch, throwout bearing, Z-bar, pedals...oh and a flywheel installed on your motor amongst other things.

If you're running a stock motor, or mildly warmed over, a stock M20 will fit your bill just fine; has a 2.52 1st gear and you'll need a 3.42, 3.55 or 3.73 rear axle gear.

A 72 Chevelle would have a 26 spline input and a 32 spline output, regardless of the ratio of the Muncie (M20, M21 or M22). This also means you could use a Super T10, Id recommend a 2.64 1st gear or a 2.88 1st gear. For the 2.64 1st, Id recommend the same rear gears as the M20, for the 2.88 1st I would use a 3.23 or 3.08 rear gear.

If you try to use a 27 spline output Muncie or T10, you'll need a new driveshaft and have to modify the shifter/ shifter bracket to make it fit in the console (assuming you have one)

Other options:
Aftermarket Muncie with M22W or M22Z gearset
Doug Nash 4+1 (Richmond 5 speed)
Richmond ROD
TKO
T56
TR-6060

Id open a second thread over on the Team Chevelle manual trans webpage; according to Jody over there, the later chevelles can have some unique requirements to install stickshifts. Ive never put one in a later chevelle, although several of our customers have.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

Wow,
I wasnt expecting all that info. Thats awsome!

I am going to try to collect the parts over time, as I just sank about a grand into it. New rims and tires, pozzi rear end, 3.73 gears and drop springs. Oh boy oh boy, runs like a dream.
I would like a tranny with a 5 speed though, i see myself running out of gears at some point.
But thanks again for all the info.

Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

American powetrain
Shop by Make - GM

5 or 6spd kits.. no need for much in the way of oem parts other than the pedal
bonus you'll have hyd clutch and not a overly stiff 70's style knee killer

a munce and or t-10 need magor beefing to life on todays rubber,, they broke with the no traction tires in the 70's you'll flat out kill them on todays rubber..
spending 1000+ for used parts then needing another 1000+ in upgrades to let it live is not wise..
as I'm guess'n you what the stick for more than just show.. you are going to wheel the thing
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

Will a T5 out of an 80's camaro fit properly?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub View Post
Will a T5 out of an 80's camaro fit properly?
do you like rebuilding it all the time.. g.m. didn't put them behind 350's for a reason
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

Im glad I have people on here like you guys. Because I cant rebuild a transmission, so I guess the 80's trany wont be an option. I guess there are certain things you dont go cheap on....and a tranny would be one of them.....
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I just know from having a 85 t/a with 305/t5 and turbo's and I got very good at r&r'n the t5.. I has a spare ready to go. at all times..
don't get me wrong, if you drove normally, it last.. but any type of lead foot, and it'll break..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.