Hot Rod Forum banner

72 Chevy

901 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Chevl_Steve 
#1 ·
Thanks for all the help with this problem.

I used the suggestions of those telling me to cross the main solenoid wire with the post closest to the engine block.

The truck went through all motions of starting, (everything but turn over) but this time, it was almost as if there was no spark hitting the fuel.

In addition, the only way for me to get any activity from the key in the cab is to first cross the posts on the starter. If I don't do this first, there is no activity when I insert key.

Steps:

Open hood, cross 2 largest post on solenoid.
Get inside truck, turn key, truck attempts to start, but doesn't. If I don't cross those post first, I get NO activity when I turn the key.

When I cross the main solenoid post with the post closest to the block, the truck cranks and cranks, and cranks like any truck, but it just doesn't catch.

There was some concern that the motor wa to tigh/seized. The motor was rebuilt about 12,000 miles ago, and when I do engage the post on the starter, I see the pulleys on the motor turning just fine.

Any more help would be great..

See less See more
#2 ·
When you crank the engine, you should be getting spark , sounds like you are not. There should be a wire that goes from the post closest to the block to the coil. Is this hooked up?

This wire supplies power to the coil while the starter is cranking.

Take a tester and connect it to the positive side of the coil. Turn the ingition on, not cranking over. You should have 7 volts. Crank the engine over. You should have 12 volts when cranking it.
If you have no power while cranking it, run a wire from the coil to the inside post of the starter. That should give you spark while cranking it.

#3 ·
wired

Hmmm sounds like the starter switch isn't doing either one of it's jobs! That sounds fishy to me. Either the wire carrying 12 volts to the switch isn't connected or is open between the battery and the switch, all the wires are off the back of that starter switch (not likely unless some unusual situation) or there's a fuse blown.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.