'72 chevy police burner - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2002, 07:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post '72 chevy police burner

Hey i have a 1972 chevy pickup and a 350 tranny and 3.73 gears and i was wonder ing what i could do to it to make it go hella fast and be agressive on the street to. i know a guy that hass alot of chevelles and parts so it won't be a problem for part i just need suggestions
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2002, 09:24 PM

Im assumming you have a 350,depends how much you want to spend?a aluminum intake your choice cam some where around a470 lift,headers,600 to 750 carb. vacuum secondarys for the street,thats a start,heads are the most important department in making good horsepower.(wrenchturner)
Old 05-28-2002, 11:58 PM

AFR heads = lots of power. Good aluminum heads are the biggest bolton for power but also some of the most expensive. If you do heads, do a cam, intake, good carb, and ignition. AFR heads are more expensive than edelbrocks and some of the others but are the best for the money but they may not be the most streetable for your truck. The edelbrock Performers may be better. AFRs are really good for high rpm though. Intake, go with a Performer or Performer RPM or the Holley equivelant. Carb, go with a 625 Demon or 600 Holley. They are good for low rpm response and for motors that don't turn over 4000. I have a feeling you are going to try to do that atleast. Don't go over 750 because you will sacrifice low rpm power and if you motor is not set up for it, it will actually decrease power. If you get heads cam and all then you could go bigger. As far as cam goes, don't go over a 270 or 280 Magnum. Ignition wise, start with an MSD Ready-To-Run and you can always add an ignition box to it later. If you are willing to spend the bucks, you could really get some power in this thing.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:30 PM

Cool

hey, got the same truck, gears, with 400 tranny,these guys are right, listen to em. I threw on a performer and it`s a bit snappier than stock, plus its way lighter. a stock HEI unit helps also. this is a very cheap ticket to a little power. you can always upgrade, its a darn good place to start. your possibilities from there are endless. heads,cam, dual exhaust, good carb. get poly bushings for your rear tracking arm, as this will help keep your rear end from dancin around and improve traction. Remember, these trucks are front end heavy, hard to hook em up. you might consider using a blazer gas tank in the rear, check out www.chevyduty.com

[ June 08, 2002: Message edited by: 72 chevy ]</p>
Old 11-10-2002, 01:26 PM
72 Chevy Cheyenne

Last photo:

I also have a 72 with a rebuilt 350/TH350, I put in a Crower Cam (a big one) Victor Jr Intake, Q Jet Carb, HEI, Headers dual with H pipe and 3.54 gears, it's fast trust me, and I haven't even put new Heads on yet!
Old 11-10-2002, 04:23 PM

Thumbs up

Hey dion, nice truck! One question, how far back did you locate your "h pipe"? Seems that a long time ago, I read an article about how the distance of the pipe from the engine affects torque and hp, input, anyone? I know that they balance out the exhaust pulses and are very benificial...but does the location matter??
Old 11-11-2002, 08:32 AM

Yes location does matter and it's specific to your vehicle and exhaust system. Does your exhaust angle toward the center of the vehicle straignt off the header, then bend and go straight down the center of the vehicle? The way to find where the crossover needs to be is paint the exhaust pipe with regular black spray paint....NOT high temp. Take a little drive and stand on it once. Then crawl under the truck and see where the paint is burned off or bubbling the most.....that's the location you want for the crossover or H pipe.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:18 AM
72 Chevy Cheyenne

Last photo:

Thanks 72, I put the Balance Pipe about 14 inches give or take back from the header collectors. Check out www.67-72chevytrucks.com Pretty good message board.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.