72 Chevy starter.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 03:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

72 Chevy starter....

Greetings all. I posted a subject about 2 weeks ago concerning my trucks inablity to turn over. I have not had much time to deal with it, but had time today.

I went out to the truck as usual and tried to turn it over. Nothing. No clicks, no whirrrrrsss... nothing. The battery had a full charge, and everything else looked fine.

I then placed a screwdriver across the - & + sides of the solenoid, and it began whirling just fine, but it never engaged to starter. I then went in just tio see if this made any difference, and when I turned the key, the first signs of life were evident. The ignition engaged, and the truck went through all the motions (it sounded so good, I expected it to turn over at any moment) of starting, but didn't start. I then took the key out of the ignition, tried to start it agian, and nothing. I then went and did the screwdriver trick again, and it tried to turn over again. Key out, and then in again, nothing. Screwdriver trick, and she tries to turn over again. I have completed this test several times and have gotten the same result everytime.

Anyway to isolate the starter or motor with the info provided?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

What do you mean when you say, "it tries to turn over?' ....is the starter engaging, and not turning or does the starter spin without engaging?

When you shorted it out with the screwdriver, was it the terminal that the cable is on and the one right below it, or the one closest to the block.
If you short to the one right below it, it will just spin and not engage. If you go to the one closest to the block, it should engage and spin. If it does not when you go to this one, either your starter is weak or your motor is too tight. Can you turn the engine by hand?

Budget RVs
Old 03-03-2004, 07:43 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You need to replace the starter solenoid...
Old 03-03-2004, 08:19 AM

starter..

I touched the screwdriver to the 2 largest post on the starter. I heard a sound as if something were "spinning". Then, when I jumped in the truck to try to start it, I get everything but the truck actually turning over.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You need to cross between the large post that the battery cable is connected to and the small post closest to the engine block. Usually has a purple wire going to it. That should make the starter spin and engage.

If it just clicks or just spins and doesn't engage, the solenoid needs replacing. Probably best to rebuild or replace the whole starter, if this is the case.

That is, if your motor is not seized. Try turning it over by hand 1st to make sure. It sounds like this vehicle has been sitting a lot.

Budget RVs
Old 03-04-2004, 09:20 AM

driven a lot

I was driving the truck almost daily until the day it wouldn't start. The motor was just rebuilt, but I can turn it by hand. And it has started intermittantly. I will pull the starter and have it looked at. I think this is where the problem lies.

Thanks for everyones help,

ns
Old 03-16-2004, 04:19 PM

problem solved...

Thanks for all the help. It was the starter solendoid....

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.