72 Chevy truck 350? for monte - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 06:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

72 Chevy truck 350? for monte

Hey guys im new at this site and rebuilding . I am a machinist and mechanic by trade and i have rebuilt a 400 small block with a freind about 15 years ago. I found a 72 chevy full size truck with a 350 with 350 turbo transmission( im told this is a four bolt main.... is this true?). i also found a pretty good 85 Monte carlo that the 305 is blown in it but it has headers, holley high rise intake, and a 650 Holley. My plan is to rip out the 350 and have it bored .030 over and build it. WHat im looking for is the low end put you in the seat, real fast 0-60. I guess my first question would be ... are there any tried and true parts for doing this or is it all up to the user. Has anyone built a really kickass 350 and if you have could you share maybe some part lists so i can start. Any data would be great like hp and torque. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 09:25 PM

definately do it right

Hey I have an 84' Monte Carlo Super Sport with a 305 H.O. and I have built it up to the point that I am told I am either just at or just over 500 HP. This may not seem possible but trust me it puts you in your seat in any gear (when my tranny was working correctly). Anyway the bottom end is completely stock and I have added a whole lot of bolt-ons everything from a cam to roller rockers (check out my post a few days ago for more details) but I could prescribe a few things to snap your neck, just write back and tell me where you would like to start.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:25 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Use the 350 short block with 18cc D-cup pistons and watch your quench distance (the flat of the piston to the head outside the combustion chamber clearance, you want to try to keep it around .040" to .045"); a fairly mild computer compatible cam and a set of Vortec heads although you'll need a different intake manifold for the Vortecs. With a 200-4R trans and some 3.42 - 3.73 gears it will pull like a freight train, be tame enough to drive anywhere and still get decent mileage all on 87 Octane.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 AM

thanks

thank you very much! This will be my first build so i dont understand alot just yet. Im taking the motor out of the truck this weekend and sending it out to be bored and decked hopefully next week. I was looking at trickflow heads.... any input on these. also trying to find the right duration cam for the motor. The monte has no wiring in it for any computer.. Its all gone. SO im building all this from a shell. Any input would be helpful
Old 04-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Get a copy of John Lingenfelter's book on Small Block Chevy's it's outdated as what far cylinder heads are available now but the basics are there and he concentrated on just the type of engine you want to build. Check out the performance forums at Chevy Talk and Team Chevelle too there have been literally hundreds of posts that would apply to you. You're on the right track, don't fall into the bigger is better trap. For a strong street engine in the idle to 5500 range keep the cam mild and the cylinder head runners to the smallish side for high mixture velocity, that builds low and mid-range torque and that's what you are after. Since you don't have to worry about the computer I'd look at cams like the Comp Xtreme series, Lunati VooDoo or Crane Z series with Lobe seperation Angles in the 110-112 degree range. If the 305 in the car is an HO the heads that are on it aren't terrible for what you want if you're on a tight budget, cut them for 1.94 intake valves, do a little porting and they are a decent street head, they are 58 cc chambers though so you'd want a 22cc D-cup piston to keep compression around 9.1 or so.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:50 PM

where do i get it?

any idea where i can get a copy of that book? is it still in print? can i order it from walden books? thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 06:40 PM

as for a set of good street heads i would look towards a set of edelbrock performers or even a smaller cc air flow research set

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.