72' ford 360 engine carburator issues, please help!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
cactussambo

Wiki Edits: 0

72' ford 360 engine carburator issues, please help!!

I own a 1972 f250 ranger edition. I just bought a rebuilt 360 long block bored .30 over and had it installed by my brother. Since the engine had sat for over a year before installing all the ring were seized. Since then we have ran the truck long enough driving it here and there to free all the rings. I bought a new carburetor from auto zone I believe it is a holly 2100 2bbl? the truck seems to be running fine other that when I hit the gas from idle it loses all vacuum pressure and dies out.Just the other day i drove it to the store, shut it off and it wouldn't stay running when I restarted it. I left it over night and went back the next day and it started right up and drove home.But the problem still persists to happen.We never did tune the carb in after installing it so I'm thinking this may be part of the problem. I am planning on rebuilding it today which is not a problem but i dont know much about tuning it correctly.Can any one help me out I dont know much about the carburetor?

Also I have been looking to upgrade to a 4bbl carb and intake system I am having a lot of issues with finding either of the 2 for the 360

I'm looking into buying msd electronic ignition system right now to help out with spark and vacuum issues.
also a set of headers

If anyone can help me out with any of these topics that would be great since this is my first project vehicle. My overall goal is to have a great running truck that I can rely on. Any other input is also welcome.
thank you!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 04:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK you should try to adjust the carb before rebuilding it, I assume a new carb from autozone is a rebuilt carb so why do you need to rebuild it?. Not saying it's not any good and if not exchange it but basics like clean fuel filter and fuel, good fuel pressure, idle speed and mixture settings and accelerator pump adjustments first.

Any manifold for a 390 will fit but the 2bbl will probably run as well... maby a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl, throttle responce better with the 4 bbl but
manifold/head port match will be off.

Pertronix builds a electronic upgrade that replaces the points, is easy to install and works well and is affordable.

Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.