Hot Rod Forum banner

72 Mustang Wont Turn Over

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  72MGC 
#1 ·
Im trying to get the engine to turn over and it is completely dead. There is a black/orange wire leading to the solenoid area that has been cut. I do not know if this is the reason or not. The negative side of the solenoid only has a cable leading to the starter. The positive side has the battery cable and two other small wires, one is yellow and the other I think is green, leading into more wire mess. There are two red wires leading to the solenoid also in the middle. I do not know if this is correct, can someone please shed some light. Or know where a good diagram is free? Thanks

#6 ·
There is no negative side of the solenoid. There is the battery side and the starter side. When the solenoid engages it connects the two. One of the small wires on the solenoid is used to engage it the other is usually a secondary ignition feed to feed power to the ignition while cranking.

If the 2 small wires were reversed the engine will not crank. You can test the solenoid by jumping from the battery side large post to the small s terminal, this should cause the starter to engage. If it does then you have a wiring issue, could be the ignition switch, a broken wire neutral safety switch etc

#7 ·
Thank you! I fixed some wiring that I had done wrong according to the diagram. It still would not do anything, dead silence. I tried your advice on testing the solenoid with a battery charger and the starter did not engage. I then removed the starter and tested that itself..nothing.

The starter must be the problem. Although I would think I could hear some clicking or something from the solenoid. Its completely dead. I will replace starter and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.