72 Nova Disk Brake Conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 07:15 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

72 Nova Disk Brake Conversion

I am preparing to do work on my 72 nova this winter. I definitely need to upgrade the stock rear end to something stronger and a lower gear (currently a 2.73). what would it take to upgrade the rear drum brakes to disc? Is this worth doing? The front brakes are still drum and I have no plans or intentions in the short term to upgrade those.

Do I have to change the rear axle housing? Do I keep the rear housing and change the axles?

My funds are limited. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on this. Please don't recommend anything expensive. It is a low budget project, doing most if not all the work myself. what would I expect to pay for this if I do the work myself.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Stick with the rear drums. You don't want to have drums on the front and discs on the rear.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

I would definetly upgrade the fronts befor the rear. You can get a SSBC kit for around 600 bucks front and 600 rear. Thats not too bad. They also use all factory parts so if something breaks you just go to a local parts house.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:43 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

do some reading on the following pages. u may get away w/a bone yard swap....joe
1st page
2nd page
Old 08-29-2006, 08:27 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
I would definetly upgrade the fronts befor the rear. You can get a SSBC kit for around 600 bucks front and 600 rear. Thats not too bad. They also use all factory parts so if something breaks you just go to a local parts house.
what do you have on your nova? also, what are you running in the rear in terms of axle housing, axles, ring & pinion, 10 or 12 bolt, etc? did you do any additional welding to the spring perches or axle tubes or is your setup totally stock like my 8.5" 10 bolt.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:07 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

My nova is a stock 8.2 10 bolt with 3.08 gears. My perches are fully welded but was like that when I got them. Im throwing a narrowed 9" under it after I build my big block as you can find those anywhere.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:03 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
My nova is a stock 8.2 10 bolt with 3.08 gears. My perches are fully welded but was like that when I got them. Im throwing a narrowed 9" under it after I build my big block as you can find those anywhere.
I don't know how easy they are to find where I am (chicago). there are almost no junkyards around here.

what else has to be done to get the 9" in there? can you keep the leaf springs? do you need a new driveshaft? do you use the axles that come with the 9" housing? what about the brakes? I have rear drum now, what would have to be done with that? One more thing: you mentioned a narrowed 9", does that mean you will run a wider than stock tire? Right now I can't run a wider tire because the lower shock mounts are 1" away from rubbing the inside tire wall. the shock mounts would have to be relocated to the inner side of the leaf springs right? I'm running a P235 tire right now.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

There are stock Ford 9" rears that will bolt right in a Nova, in your case one from a 67-70 Mustang/Cougar. You could also use a late 50's rear, an early Mustang one or one from a 70's Granada/Monarch/Versailles. These are narrower than the Nova rear and will require you to put the shocks on the inside.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.