72 nova rear end upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 08:24 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

72 nova rear end upgrade

Help

my 72 nova rear end is stock, except for the posi-traction differential. The motor is a modified 454 chevy. The trans is a turbo-350 with a shift kit and holding up very nicely so far to the 550 HP motor. I am ready to plan this upcoming winter's upgrades to the car. I want the car to get better traction so that it "launches" from a dead stop. Right now she smokes the tires quite a bit even with the 3.08 gear and stock torque converter.

The car is for "street only" use. It will NOT be drag-raced at the track. Even having said that, I don't want to lose a street race if you know what I mean. I want the car to be able to run high 10's, low 11's. I need to "launch" the car for that to happen right. I put subframe connectors on to help stiffen the frame.

what should I do next? I don't want to tub the car, I don't want to spend thousands on a completely re-fabricated new rear frame and suspension for a car that only is for that street and runs 10's. right now the widest tires that will fit are on there P235-60-15. there is only 8.5 inches of tread touching the pavement. no wonder they spin. any wider of a tire would rub the sheet metal or the shock mount. there is no more room right now to go wider.

should I just throw traction bars on there or do something more? I have a budget of about $1500 to spend on this. I usually do most or all labor myself (except heavy welding & fabrication) that I can't do.

thanks for your help. you can send me photos of what you have done if you feel it would help. my email is

lwallace@pcsoc.com

Advertisement

Last edited by leejoy; 05-06-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 12:07 AM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

If all you can fit is 235/60r15's you need new rims. I recently put my bigger tires on so I will try and get a picture of those. You can run a 275/60r15 with a 15x8 rime with a 4.5 backspacing. You don't have to tub your car for traction. There is a nova running 8.16 on the 275 tire.Since this is a street car I would not go all out and by clatrac bars. Some regular slapper bars should be fine. the first thing you will hit on your nova will be the shock. The comp engineering bars move the lower mount inside more for clearance the next would be the inside wheel well and leaf springs. the make a 40 dollar kit to move the rear of the springs inward as they are not perpendicular from the factory.If you do modify the inner wells you can run wider rims with more backspacing without narrowing your rear.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:18 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
If all you can fit is 235/60r15's you need new rims. I recently put my bigger tires on so I will try and get a picture of those. You can run a 275/60r15 with a 15x8 rime with a 4.5 backspacing. You don't have to tub your car for traction. There is a nova running 8.16 on the 275 tire.Since this is a street car I would not go all out and by clatrac bars. Some regular slapper bars should be fine. the first thing you will hit on your nova will be the shock. The comp engineering bars move the lower mount inside more for clearance the next would be the inside wheel well and leaf springs. the make a 40 dollar kit to move the rear of the springs inward as they are not perpendicular from the factory.If you do modify the inner wells you can run wider rims with more backspacing without narrowing your rear.
dear 69novass

thanks for your help. now that I've got you hooked, lets talk. can you send me some photos of your car and the rear end stuff. please explain what you mean by "backspacing". I will check out competition engineering website to look at the shock mount relocaters that you talked about. that's my biggest problem is the shock mounts. those need to get relocated. the leaf springs can stay where they are.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:16 AM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

Backspacing is the measurement form the hub mounting point to the inner lip of the wheel.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.