72 Nova sub frame repair - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 02:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

72 Nova sub frame repair

HI all. I have a 72 Nova sub frame that needs to have the body mount holes that mount the fire wall area of the body to the sub frame. The ones there are rusted and now much larger than what they should be. I have welded 1/4" plates opver the original metal and now i need to cut the correct size and location into the new plates. Does anyone have the proper dimensions for these body mount holes. I have new POLY mounts that will tell me what size the holes should be but they must be exact so the body and frame are correctly aligned. Please help me so i can start re-assembling the car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

If you don't get an answer here, you might try www.stevesnovasite.com/forums , or maybe www.camaros.net/forums (1st-gen Camaros use the same subframe as the '72 Nova).

That mount may have an extra hole that's used for alignment. I can't vouch for it personally, but I have heard it more than once.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:55 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchevy
I have welded 1/4" plates opver the original metal and now i need to cut the correct size and location into the new plates.
I hope you welded the new plates at the original "level" of the old metal... Welding them on top will alter the mounting height of the subframe to the body and you will have a tough time getting body panels to fit correctly. I know 1/4" doesn't sound like much but, when you do the math, it will lower the bumper height by roughly 1/2". This will not be good when you are trying to put the fenders and hood back on... I just used approximations in my calculations so the number may be more or less then my example.
And, to answer your hole location question, measure from the rear cradle bolt holes on the body to the mid-mount holes at the firewall. You may notice the cradle has slots instead of true holes to allow for alignment during assembly. If you match the slot sizes you should be good.
Mark

Last edited by astroracer; 01-05-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:31 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

You can buy a kit that comes with all 6 plates with the holes already there. Some people just weld the plates on top of the existing frame, rather than cutting out the old metal, but that will raise the body by the thickness of the metal. You would have to do all 6 together that way to keep it straight. There are also body drop bushings available.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:09 PM

72 Nova sub frame repair

Thanks for the info. Its a big help but I need to know where to buy both the replacement plates and the altered body mount kit. You can reach me directly at svsunltd@aol.com if you would please.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.