72 olds 455 needs more power - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
DENCOUCH's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Great Pacific Northwest
Age: 67
Posts: 409
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
stuff left out.

Yes, you will feel a difference in performance... tires will most likely break traction between shifts. and your mileage may slip.

I forgot to mention that you will have to have your speedo re-calibrated, but that is easy.

Have fun.

and relive the feeling of of being pushed back into you seat when you step on it.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 14
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENCOUCH
Yes, you will feel a difference in performance... tires will most likely break traction between shifts. and your mileage may slip.

I forgot to mention that you will have to have your speedo re-calibrated, but that is easy.

Have fun.

and relive the feeling of of being pushed back into you seat when you step on it.
in the performance aspect whats the difference if just swaped the gears and not the rear end? this much money isnt a real problem for me to get so the easier it is for me to do is the way i will go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 PM
DENCOUCH's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Great Pacific Northwest
Age: 67
Posts: 409
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Costs

If you look at Summits price on gears, it will cost about $190 bucks for a performance ring & pinion gear set. The install kit is another $90 bucks.

You will need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to check the clearances & lash. You will need a torque wrench graduated in inch/pounds to set the correct preload on the pinion bearing. This required that you tighten the pinion gland nut to 180 lbs of torque, but not so tight that the crush sleeve is over tightened so that the pinion will turn with about 11 in/lb torque. If you over tighten it, then press out the pinion gear and load in another crush sleeve... try again.

Faster & cheaper to shop for a used rear end with all of this already done for ya.

No difference if you find a 3.37 rear end already to go, or install your own 3.37 gears... performance would be the same.

Check & see what gear set you have ... that will give you an idea of how much better your car will scoot if you select a lower gear set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
I'm wondering what condition and/or state of tune the engine is now. Have you taken it down the quarter mile yet?

I put a BONE STOCK Olds 455 out of a wagon into a barge-sized '76 Cutlass and it went high 13's w/a single side rear end w/2.73:1 gears, cast iron exhaust and intake manifolds. The only "work" done to it was to rebuild the Q-jet and recurve the distributor along w/a new timing set. It would burn the tire for a city block- and that is not an exaggeration!

If this doesn't sound like you- then you better start w/a compression test, a vacuum test and possibly a leakdown test to see what the condition of the engine is before you go any further.

If the tests all look good, then do a complete tune up and be sure the carb is working as it should. Recurve the distributor and see what you have after doing those few things. Because I can tell you, it should be running pretty damn good- even stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 14
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENCOUCH
If you look at Summits price on gears, it will cost about $190 bucks for a performance ring & pinion gear set. The install kit is another $90 bucks.

You will need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to check the clearances & lash. You will need a torque wrench graduated in inch/pounds to set the correct preload on the pinion bearing. This required that you tighten the pinion gland nut to 180 lbs of torque, but not so tight that the crush sleeve is over tightened so that the pinion will turn with about 11 in/lb torque. If you over tighten it, then press out the pinion gear and load in another crush sleeve... try again.

Faster & cheaper to shop for a used rear end with all of this already done for ya.

No difference if you find a 3.37 rear end already to go, or install your own 3.37 gears... performance would be the same.

Check & see what gear set you have ... that will give you an idea of how much better your car will scoot if you select a lower gear set.
how would i find out what gears i have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 14
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I'm wondering what condition and/or state of tune the engine is now. Have you taken it down the quarter mile yet?

I put a BONE STOCK Olds 455 out of a wagon into a barge-sized '76 Cutlass and it went high 13's w/a single side rear end w/2.73:1 gears, cast iron exhaust and intake manifolds. The only "work" done to it was to rebuild the Q-jet and recurve the distributor along w/a new timing set. It would burn the tire for a city block- and that is not an exaggeration!

If this doesn't sound like you- then you better start w/a compression test, a vacuum test and possibly a leakdown test to see what the condition of the engine is before you go any further.

If the tests all look good, then do a complete tune up and be sure the carb is working as it should. Recurve the distributor and see what you have after doing those few things. Because I can tell you, it should be running pretty damn good- even stock.
i havent taken down the quarter or anything like that. what kind of place does tests like that? and when u say tune up, u mean just like u would tune up a newer car or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 14
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENCOUCH
If you look at Summits price on gears, it will cost about $190 bucks for a performance ring & pinion gear set. The install kit is another $90 bucks.

You will need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to check the clearances & lash. You will need a torque wrench graduated in inch/pounds to set the correct preload on the pinion bearing. This required that you tighten the pinion gland nut to 180 lbs of torque, but not so tight that the crush sleeve is over tightened so that the pinion will turn with about 11 in/lb torque. If you over tighten it, then press out the pinion gear and load in another crush sleeve... try again.

Faster & cheaper to shop for a used rear end with all of this already done for ya.

No difference if you find a 3.37 rear end already to go, or install your own 3.37 gears... performance would be the same.

Check & see what gear set you have ... that will give you an idea of how much better your car will scoot if you select a lower gear set.
would 3.42 gears be pretty much the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S/E Michigan
Posts: 653
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
3.42's would be a great ratio.

Who put the 455 in the car, and whats done to it besides the intake carb and headers?
What type of distributor? are the plugs, wire, cap and rotor in good shape?
Where is the timing set? Have you adjusted the timing or the carb to get more performance out of the engine?
455's have a long stroke(4.25), and make alot of torque, even with stock gearing(2.56 or 2.73's mostlikely), the car should still be able to accelerate quite quickly, if youre getting traction.
What transmission is in the car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 14
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer
3.42's would be a great ratio.

Who put the 455 in the car, and whats done to it besides the intake carb and headers?
What type of distributor? are the plugs, wire, cap and rotor in good shape?
Where is the timing set? Have you adjusted the timing or the carb to get more performance out of the engine?
455's have a long stroke(4.25), and make alot of torque, even with stock gearing(2.56 or 2.73's mostlikely), the car should still be able to accelerate quite quickly, if youre getting traction.
What transmission is in the car?
the 455 is stock andit has the turbo 400 transmission, the only other thing is a flowmaster exhaust system, and traction isnt to good considering they spinalmost everytime i turn. i havent adjusted anything like that, what would be good to start with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Thumpin455's Avatar
Ask me about Ethanol
 

Last journal entry: 65 GTO
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan's U.P.
Posts: 155
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
DO NOT put 3.73 or 4.10 gears in it! It is NOT a small chevy. You have a 4.25" stroke crank, that is not an engine that needs RPM. Also the Olds has a rocker arm setup that doesnt like more than 5500 rpm. You will go slower, burn more fuel, and do little more than beat your engine up. The most you want to go is 3.55, and really 2.73-3.08 works just fine with a 455.

A set of headers, some tuning and a mild stall if its an automatic will really wake it up. No more than 2400 on the stall if its an auto.

What cam you can run depends on what heads it has, if it has J heads you will be a bit more limited because of the lower compression and ports that arent quite as good. If you have A, C, or E heads then you will have compression that might be too high for pump gas. The rocker arms are also something you have to consider with the cam. One with less than .500 lift and 220-228 intake/224-230 exhaust duration would work nice and not mess up the geometry bad enough you will need new rockers and machine work to the heads.

Stay away from single plane intakes, it isnt a small chevy. A stock non EGR intake is better than any single plane. I would go to a Holley or preferably a Qjet instead of the E carb.

Like the other guys said, what is it in, what trans does it have, and tell us what letter is cast in the ends of the heads adjacent to the exhaust ports? If its a number its a small Olds, letters are on the 400/425, and 455.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: hamilton ont. canada
Age: 39
Posts: 180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my only reasoning behind 373-410 gears would be the fact his olds will probably have 28+ inch tall rear tires.

my stock big block shop truck is verry happy with 410s even on the hwy but i have near 30in tall tires

your totally correct that 355ish would be more appropriate for a engine that will turn less than 5000 especially if you have reduced the tire size from stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 14
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455
DO NOT put 3.73 or 4.10 gears in it! It is NOT a small chevy. You have a 4.25" stroke crank, that is not an engine that needs RPM. Also the Olds has a rocker arm setup that doesnt like more than 5500 rpm. You will go slower, burn more fuel, and do little more than beat your engine up. The most you want to go is 3.55, and really 2.73-3.08 works just fine with a 455.

A set of headers, some tuning and a mild stall if its an automatic will really wake it up. No more than 2400 on the stall if its an auto.

What cam you can run depends on what heads it has, if it has J heads you will be a bit more limited because of the lower compression and ports that arent quite as good. If you have A, C, or E heads then you will have compression that might be too high for pump gas. The rocker arms are also something you have to consider with the cam. One with less than .500 lift and 220-228 intake/224-230 exhaust duration would work nice and not mess up the geometry bad enough you will need new rockers and machine work to the heads.

Stay away from single plane intakes, it isnt a small chevy. A stock non EGR intake is better than any single plane. I would go to a Holley or preferably a Qjet instead of the E carb.

Like the other guys said, what is it in, what trans does it have, and tell us what letter is cast in the ends of the heads adjacent to the exhaust ports? If its a number its a small Olds, letters are on the 400/425, and 455.
its in a 72 cutlass supreme, turbo 400 transmisson and the other stuff i cant find and when u say tune up does that mean like take it in to shop for a tune up like a newer car or what?

Last edited by zzarich; 03-26-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S/E Michigan
Posts: 653
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzarich
its in a 72 cutlass supreme, turbo 400 transmisson and the other stuff i cant find and when u say tune up does that mean like take it in to shop for a tune up like a newer car or what?
If you dont know how to tune an engine, then yes, you'll need to find a shop that knows how to work on older cars and pay them to do a performance tune up.
If you cant do a tune up, then you probably would be lost trying to install the rear gears, so again, find a shop that installs ring and pinions and get an estimate. If the car doesnt have a posi unit, you'll want to add that while theyre installing the ring and pinion, otherwise you will be stuck with a one-wheel-peel everytime you punch the throttle.

You are going to find that its quite expensive to modify a car if you have to pay someone to do all the work for you. Id suggest you wait with the upgrades, and take a basic automotive class to learn how to work on your car yourself(college or adult ed. nite classes)
Id also suggest you buy a Helm's Chassis Service Manual for your car, they are available from numerous places on the www. These are copies of the exact same manual the dealer Techs used when your car was new, every procedure is spelled out in text and pictures to walk you thru repairing your car.
Also, a 72 Cutlass Supreme with a factory 455 is not that common of a car(most had 350's, or were fast back Cutlass S models), can you post the first 6 digits of your vin for decoding?
There is a body build tag located on the drivers side cowl(under the hood), that will also list info about when and where you car was made, and possibly some option codes for how your car was originally ordered.(Color, interior style, A/C,etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzarich
when u say tune up does that mean like take it in to shop for a tune up like a newer car or what?
It basically means to replace the parts that wear and/or deteriorate over time. This can be done by you, providing you have the tools, a place to work (preferrably under a roof), time and inclination to learn the procedures if you don't know them already. There WILL be a fairly steep learning curve, but nothing that cannot be accomplished if you're willing to learn.

Otherwise, there's no shame in admitting it may be above your abilities or any of if the other things mentioned above are lacking at this point. If this is the case, look for a shop that you can trust, hopefully one that'll let you watch and maybe participate so the next time you'll be in a better position to do some or all of the work yourself.

Some things that will be done or replaced during a tune up (NOT all-inclusive):
plugs
plug wires
distributor cap and rotor
replace vacuum hoses/lines
PCV valve
air and fuel filters
set the timing- both initial and total.
recurve the ignition advance. This is done by changing the springs that control the centrifugal weights. It may require you to limit the amount of vacuum advance that the canister on the distributor supplies. You want about 10 to about 15 max from the vacuum advance. More on all this below.
adjust the carb to give the highest vacuum at idle, or highest idle speed. If the carb is leaky or the idle mixture screws unresponsive, etc. it may be time for a rebuild.

From a previous post on ignition timing:
Quote:
You should verify that what you are seeing at the damper and timing tab for TDC is actually TDC.
DETERMINING TDC will allow you to be sure the timing tab and damper are correctly indicating TDC.

MAKE A TIMING TAPE to see what the total timing is, w/o needing to use a dial back timing light. You can also buy a timing tape, they're not very expensive. The problem is if you have a different diameter damper than what the timing tape is made for.

Be sure the advance plate is free to move, w/o binding or friction. HERE'S an exploded view of an HEI distributor. THIS is a description of an HEI rebuild.

I would recommend that you use the vacuum advance, hooked to manifold vacuum. It should be limited to around 10 of added advance, but no more than about 15. This will help keep the carb primary blades from being opened too far to get the idle speed where it needs to be. If the blades are opened too far, the idle quality and off idle response will not be good.

You may well need an adjustable vacuum advance to get the advance at a low enough vacuum, given the lack of idle vacuum you now have. Using the vacuum advance should help bring up the idle vacuum as well.

If the vacuum advance you have comes in OK but gives too much advance, you will need to physically limit the vacuum advance can's travel w/a vacuum advance limiter plate like the Crane #99619-1, #99619 Instructions. Or you can easily make one.

Crane has an adjustable vacuum advance can kit- Crane #99600-1, #99600-1 Instructions.

The Accel #31035, #31035 Instructions is another adjustable vacuum advance can for the GM HEI. Comes w/instructions and tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1986 Olds No Power MUR317 Engine 1 11-03-2008 05:30 PM
1957-58 Olds Tri-power intake on chev? Nsomnia Engine 2 08-26-2008 08:27 PM
Olds 455 engine power steering roggera Engine 1 02-20-2007 03:57 PM
looking for tri power olds 394 low66396 Engine 1 02-03-2007 10:35 PM
Olds power mods NAIRB Engine 5 09-19-2002 07:39 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.