Hot Rod Forum banner

72 VW bus body bid

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
i have a guy with a 1972 VW camper bus its white top and yellow bottom. The whole bottom of the van (rockers, doors, finders, ect..) are rotted out and need replaces and maybe the front floor pans. Hes want me to do all the body work welding ect.. and i can but i dont know what to bid on the job i will be doing everything but paint.

I will list some price of materials so you can get an idea of the prices in my area and if you could help with a round about bid on the job not by the hour.

ever coat lightweight $20-$50 rage gold
80 grit 100 count $50 / 180 grit 100 count $35
11lb roll .030 welding wire $35 / C25 60cf tank $35
gallon primer $65 / thinner $17
miscellaneous (bondo blades, tape, paper, ect..) $100

I am doing this at home not a shop 220v welder and compressor i will be doing door jambs and all for color change its mustard yellow and white. I also will be having help with the bus so if anyone can come up with a price let me know.

#3 ·
you're either working for free or not going to do a great job at those prices. I'd double or triple that guesstimate, you might still be low. Unibody construction, you're building this vehicle from the ground up if you're replacing what needs to be replaced. You'll more than likely find inner structure damage if the floors and rockers, fenders are rusted. I would run from this job unless you just don't have anything to do for the next 6 months.

#7 ·
I think Ca. prices would be close to the same, there's a price range for everyone, it depends on the quality you want when the job is done. we don't get a lot of rust here, but a uni-body is a uni-body, start in one spot and it will likely lead you to more...and more...uni-bodies are built on having a body to hold it all together. time and materials is a good way to go, start with one spot, bill the guy, start on the next, bill the guy, etc. you won't get screwed and if he thinks it's too much, take it away. Some cars aren't worth it money wise, most have to be a labor of love or it goes down hill quickly.

#5 ·
VW Bus........

I think no matter what kind of price you give the owner,you are going to bite the pipe,(lose your A--) i would either look for a better body,or pass on this job.once you get into the rockers and jambs,youre going to find more rot,do yourself a favor...PASS...:nono::nono:

#6 ·
I see what your saying but im not afraid of rust and rot. Its like saying your floor pans are rotted out if its a 86 honda junk the S**T but if its a classic like a 68 charger you junk that and ill kill you.

I guess the best thing i could do is wait for some pics the guy is going to send me and post them up i think i have 1 right now. This is just the driver side its the only pic i have and in my eyes its not that bad.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.