72 X body 10 bolt 8.5 Manual Brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

72 X body 10 bolt 8.5 Manual Brakes

I have a 1972 X body rear and I put it in a 54 chevy. I am looking to retain the manual brakes in this car. I only have the orriginal backing plates for the rear. What are my options to put manual drum brakes on this rear so I can retain the orriginal master cylinder and front brakes on my car? I would upgrade but this project has a very limited budget and junk yards don't have anything left anymore to pull to make something myself.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtoptravis View Post
I have a 1972 X body rear and I put it in a 54 chevy. I am looking to retain the manual brakes in this car. I only have the orriginal backing plates for the rear. What are my options to put manual drum brakes on this rear so I can retain the orriginal master cylinder and front brakes on my car? I would upgrade but this project has a very limited budget and junk yards don't have anything left anymore to pull to make something myself.
No reason you can't use the same brakes that would have come on the '72 Nova. The '72 brake cylinders will work with a manual master cylinder, although there may be a slight difference in the ID of the '54 cylinders compared to the '72 cylinders. That's usually not a problem, but could mean you'd need to use an adjustable rear brake proportioning valve.

To make the deal work you'd need to buy the '72 shoes, drums and hardware kits for both wheels and possibly change the brake line fittings to match the '72 rear wheel cylinders if they are different than the fittings already on the '54 rear brake lines.

If you want to keep the emergency brake functional, you'll need to see what the '54 cable ends look like to know if they're compatible w/the '72 rear brakes. If e-brakes aren't needed at this stage, either remove the e-brake cables and hardware or wire it carefully up out of the way so it won't hang up on anything or drag, etc. That way the cables, etc. will be there for later if you decide to hook the e-brake back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.