Hot Rod Forum banner

727 converter seems to stall below idle speed?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  The Factory Man 
#1 ·
73 dodge half ton....... had a weak I assume original 318, Would'nt pull itself up out of a moderately steep driveway under it's own power. So changed out for a good running used 360.......... Now it barely pulls out of that same driveway, even though before installation I lightly freshened it and installed a small RV cam. Pulls a 7000 pound trailer load fine once on the highway..

I realize I have to go back in anyway, because I used the same transmission/converter/flywheel from the 318 without giving it a though. It ran smoothly and didn't seem to have any vibration that I could tell, but about ten miles down the road it occurred to me that a 360 is external balance....so...

But my question is about the converter.. It seems to engage below idle; possibly is engaged all the time.. 400 rpm is about it wants to idle and the 360 will begrudgingly work up to 5 or 600 and ease off anyway. Is this rare? I know nothing about converters. :confused: :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.