Hot Rod Forum banner

727 Question

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Elevinpointsixtoone 
#1 ·
I'd like to use my 66 Chargers 727 in my Model A Tudor. It has this crazy long tail shaft...19.5" from its mounting point with the main case to rear output shaft. Overall the trani is like 37". Is it possible to swap on a shorter tail shaft? Are they interchangeable...whats involved in swapping?
If I kept this long stinger the drive shaft will only be 3 feet long.
Thanks,
Dave

#2 ·
You can use a motor home/van tail housing which is 12" long, or a truck tail housing which is 8" long. Both of them require a 2 piece driveshaft as both use fixed yokes as opposed to slip yokes.

You need to swap everything on the back of the transmission, but you need to partially disassemble the transmission to change the output shaft.

#5 ·
I'm leaning that way at this point too. I'll note the amount of u-joint angle with the longer shaft (shorter drive shaft) and see if its severe.
I'm looking at the sportsman rebuild kit from SMR Trams...any comments about these guys products?

Their link is wierd...you will have to cut and paste into your browser...the URL tool doesn't like it.
http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id10.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.