Hot Rod Forum banner

727 torqueflite - cable linkage problem

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Highway 
#1 ·
I'm replacing my A833OD with a 727 torqueflite. I built my own shifter and I'm using a shifter cable. The cable, a B&M, is threaded on one end and a loop on the other. My question is what is the best way to hook the the cable to the transmission? Would it be okay to bend the threaded end into a 90 and hook that into the shifter lever on the transmission using a locknut to secure it? If that will not work, what would be the alternative?

Thanks,
Highway

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Cranky. I didn't know if bending the threaded end of the B&M cable would take out any slack I would have for adjustment. I was able to find a linkage kit from B&M for the 727. Guess I should have checked there before posting this question. I assumed being Summit and my aftermarket mopar vendors didn't have one, there was not one for the 727. But you know what they say about assuming......

#4 ·
Well thought I was on the right track. It seems the kit B&M sent me has the bracket facing the wrong direction and has my shifter shifting in a reverse pattern with low being towards the dash. The shifter cable connects below the pivot point on my shifter. I believe the kit is for a shifter that has the cable connecting above the pivot point.

#5 ·
Highway said:
Well thought I was on the right track. It seems the kit B&M sent me has the bracket facing the wrong direction and has my shifter shifting in a reverse pattern with low being towards the dash. The shifter cable connects below the pivot point on my shifter. I believe the kit is for a shifter that has the cable connecting above the pivot point.

it appears to me the shifter you built is faulty.

All the B&M and Hurst type shifters I have installed the cable connection is above the pivot point of the shift lever as you suspect.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.