727 tranny.. Weak forward gears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

727 tranny.. Weak forward gears

I rebuilt a 727 TF transmission about a Year ago and have problems ever since. I had it driving fine for about 30 miles or so and thought I had all the kinks worked out until one day I got in it put it in drive and pressed the gas and instead of it taking off like normal it hesitated and jus revved
then slowly started to pull. I got it on the road an drove it about a mile and the wheels suddenly locked up when it tried to shift! I got it back in my drive way and pulled the pan to find the rear servo cracked and the retainer bent. I took the valve body out cleaned it and replaced the servo and retainer with a stronger aftermarket one. I cranked it again and still same problem.. You can put it in drive 1st or 2nd and it barley pulls. Has a strong reverse though. This is on a 74 charger with shift kit and 2500 stall converter. All frictions steels springs and seals are new. Since I bought this car I have only got to drive it for maybe 40 miles! I'm trying to hold off on spending the money to have it professionally done so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

Did you have the kickdown installed and properly adjusted? If not you have smoked the clutches and bands and it's time to go through the transmission.

If memory serves correctly, if you have manual low, but no low in drive it could be the overrunning clutch is bad.. Unfortunatly you have to dissamble the transmission to get to it.

Either way not a lot of good news for you.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM

I didn't know it would burn the clutches if the kick down was mis-adjusted. I thought that might have been one of the problems when it first started acting up and I tried adjusting the kick down but not sure if I did it right or not so you're probably right. I dreeeaaad going back into that transmission again! Thank you for the response!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

If the trans has little or no forward movement, it sounds like the forward clutch has problems. SInce reverse works good, this indicates the pump is working.

The linkage from the carb to the transmission needs to be darn close to adjustment on these transmissions for proper operation.

You may need to remove the trans and inspect it internally
Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Ain't hot rodding fun!?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.