73-87 Chevy/GMC clutch linkage. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

73-87 Chevy/GMC clutch linkage.

I made it far enough to have all the parts necessary to swap the manual transmission into my 1988 GMC Suburban, now I KNOW there at least 2 springs I need to install under the vehicle, but I only have 1 and have no reference photos from the donor 1980 truck I removed it from, it has been long gone for severeal years now.

I also do not have any reference vehicles to look under, even 1 friend I thought might have it, swapped his clutch to hydraulic.

I have the upper pushrod in the pedal lever, through the floor and mounted properly in the bellcrank.
I have the bellcrank installed properly, and need to remember to grease it before lowering the jack for the last time.
I have the adjustable pushrod mounted and tightened to allow 1 inch of pedal freeplay before clutch engagement, and the adjusting nut tightened.
I have a spring mount bracket bolted to the clutch fork, and her is the main jist of my question.

I have memory of a small spring that goes from the clutch fork bracket to the bellcrank, and I also have passing memory of the long spring I do have, also going from the fork bracket to the frame if I remember correctly.

If anyone has a pic, or link to one that shows this either in picture form or in drawn diagram, I could really use it- and soon.

I searched for almost an hour all over the internet for almost every term I could think of using, but came up with nothing. Even a couple good reference 4X4 sites let me down.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 11:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

clutch spring

The heavy spring is probably the pedal return spring, going from the pedal to a bracket under the dash.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:29 AM
More for Less Racer

You already have it figured out. The small spring goes from the clutch fork at the cup end to the lower end of the bellcrank lever and its purpose is to keep the parts from seperating causing the pushrod to fall out of the cup. The long spring goes from the clutch fork at the same connecting point and forward to the frame. The long spring provides the pedal return force that you feel at rest(free pedal).

I don't recall whether the long spring hooked to a bracket bolted to the frame, or just hooked into a hole on the frame.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 AM
More for Less Racer

I just took a look at my unmolested '84 Heavy 1/2 ton 4x4. The small spring hooks to a hole in the TOP side of the fork, not the spring bracket, and goes forward to the bellcrank's lower lever to a small hole just above the linkage hole, putting the spring just above the pushrod, holding everything together. The long spring hooks to the spring bracket bolted to the BOTTOM of the fork, travels forward on an outward angle to clear the exhaust, and hooks behind the lower corner of the engine mount stand, right where the stand is bolted into the C-channel (inside) of the frame. The body of this spring is at the clutch fork end, wire end travels forward to the frame.

I'm the second owner and I replaced the original clutch myself, everything is as it came from the factory as far as I can tell.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39vortec
The heavy spring is probably the pedal return spring, going from the pedal to a bracket under the dash.
Maybe I forgot to mention that this particular spring is still there I just swapped the brackets yesterday and never removed that spring from the original truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
I just took a look at my unmolested '84 Heavy 1/2 ton 4x4. The small spring hooks to a hole in the TOP side of the fork, not the spring bracket, and goes forward to the bellcrank's lower lever to a small hole just above the linkage hole, putting the spring just above the pushrod, holding everything together. The long spring hooks to the spring bracket bolted to the BOTTOM of the fork, travels forward on an outward angle to clear the exhaust, and hooks behind the lower corner of the engine mount stand, right where the stand is bolted into the C-channel (inside) of the frame. The body of this spring is at the clutch fork end, wire end travels forward to the frame.
I knew the top hole was used for one of them I just haven't seen all the parts together in a LONG time. I now need to get a replacement for the small bellcrank to clutch fork spring I seem to have misplaced way too long ago, it's the only one I do not have.

I DO have the long (13-inches) spring with the coils concentrated at one end, and seem to remember one of my other manual transmission trucks having it connected to a hole in the frame, the Suburban doesn't have any holes anywhere close for this to work- being that I have a 2WD subframe under there, as well as the GM truck lines with manual transmissions for this particular era would have been swapped to hydraulic clutch mechanisms.

While under there last night, it was determined that the long spring would be best mounted directly forward, this would place it directly between the oil filter and the exhaust Y-pipe and wouldn't interfere with anything or get rubbed thin (I've had 1 that did this in a cobbled together 1975 truck), and break.

AH WELL, I thank you very much for the reminder. It's another nice day here outside, I will tackle some of the hard stuff first and go back to the small stuff.
I still have the steering column to re-install, throttle bracket to space up from the intake, and transmission crossmember to install after sutting more of the floor in the transmission hump to clear the transmission.

I will get started on making the new plate to cover the transmission back up again but really need to get a new shifter boot for that one.

***ADDED INFORMATION***
The GM 1964-1988 midsize car manual shows a diagram with the small spring extending from the clutch fork to the bellcrank where the adjustable pushrod connects, same as the truck application.
The long spring from the bellcrank in that application connects to the upper bellcrank pushrod arm and extends back toward the frame of the car.
One of the many truck manuals I have here actually did have a diagram showing the lower pushrod to clutch fork spring, but also shows the clutch fork bracket to a hole in the crossmember next to the driver side lower engine mount as stated by ericnova72.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 11-19-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added more information.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.