Hot Rod Forum banner

73 buick

52K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  swvalcon 
#1 · (Edited)
Got the old rat just about done. Only bodywork is passenger 1/4 panel and re-prime and block drivers 1/4 panel and passenger door. The rest is sealed with a dupont epoxy as a sealer. Ia'm useing it for a few reasons[1] if I dont use it soon I will have to throw it.[2 if you lay it nice and smooth it looks like black paint so you can see what the car will look like in paint.Its dupont2.8hgd gloss epoxy made for the heavy truck industry.I'll let it dry for about a week then wet sand with 400 and dawn dish soap and water then either reseal with a 2-k sealer and paint or just paint.I've got a couple small spot I may block a little but its not bad and this thing will never be a show car.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Its been a lot more work than planned but not all that bad. Take the drivers 1/4 panel. I welded and rebuilt the bottom 4-5" of it and its mud from end to end, top to bottom. I've spent hours and hours block sanding show cars to get them straight. This thing I hit the mud with my mug hog finished off with the air file. Then put 3 coats of 2-k on it. Blocked with 180 on air file. 3 more coats of 2-k same thing plus a few passes with a paint sick rapped with 180. Sealed with the dupont epoxy and this stuff if put on wet looks like single stage black paint.Theres not one wave in that 1/4 panel.I don't know what I did wrong that just shouldn't happen.

#7 ·
Got the rt 1/4 panel done and in epoxy so now it's just let everything dry good and wet sand for paint. Should have the jambs done this week and maybe start to paint. The owner was over and looked at it yesterday and he's happy with the way it looks.I'll post some pictures when it's done.

#14 ·
Put down 3 coats of omni. base yesterday let it dry overnight. Wet sanded out any dust specks and dry spots that I didn't like. Sweept out the booth, wet the floor and tacked off whole car including masking paper with old tack rag. I save old still usable tack rags specially for this. Now I will give it a double wet coat of base with 25% hardener in it wait about 4 hrs and start to clear

Attachments

#17 ·
Not sure what you mean by layer them. I shot two coats of spi production mixed 4-1-1 with a mid temp reducer about a half hr between coats. Then shot my last coat or third coat with production mixed at 4-1-1 and about a half qt of spi universal mixed at 1-1-25% mid temp. I talked to Berry one day when I was in the middle of a job and was low on production but had some universal. I asked him if I could mix the two and he said yes as long as both were pre mixed in the right amounts before I poured them together. I liked the end results and had mentioned to him that I liked the production clear but didn't care for the way it buffed. He said the adding the universal should help that. I've started to buff this thing and cut it with 600-1000-1500 on the da. Then 2000 wet and it buffs just like buffing out universal and looks like glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.