73 Nova front suspension squeaks like crazy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

73 Nova front suspension squeaks like crazy

Hi i have an 73 Nova with a 350 and th350 in it, its go front drum brakes and what all seems to be stock front suspension, and the other night after i pulled out i noticed a loud constant squeak coming from the front suspension, and it gets louder when i take turns, but goes away when i go below 25mph in a straight line. im pretty sure its not coming from the brakes, as soon as this happened my steering seems looser, might be me, i have a manual gear box. just wanted to get some ideas from what you guys think, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

The easiest way i guess would be to get a can of w d 40 or pb blaster and look at the places in your suspension that move. drive the car and squirt each one and drive again till you eliminate the squeeker.Have you ever greased the front suspension? I think I would start there .
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If the front suspension is squeaking, you need to replace the control arm bushings. There are NO parts that should need spray lubrication. If the ball joints are properly greased, then there are worn rubber parts that need to be replaced. Letting it go will eventually lead to suspension failure, or at a minimum, damage to other parts (like the control arm shaft) that will increase repair costs. Just fix it right.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod13
Hi i have an 73 Nova with a 350 and th350 in it, its go front drum brakes and what all seems to be stock front suspension, and the other night after i pulled out i noticed a loud constant squeak coming from the front suspension, and it gets louder when i take turns, but goes away when i go below 25mph in a straight line. im pretty sure its not coming from the brakes, as soon as this happened my steering seems looser, might be me, i have a manual gear box. just wanted to get some ideas from what you guys think, thanks.
Sounds like high time for a rebuilding of your suspension.

PST currently has coupons in their catalog for discounts on their front end parts, you might start w/a visit to their site, as well as to other suspension vendors to see what's out there and their costs.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If the front suspension is squeaking, you need to replace the control arm bushings. There are NO parts that should need spray lubrication. If the ball joints are properly greased, then there are worn rubber parts that need to be replaced. Letting it go will eventually lead to suspension failure, or at a minimum, damage to other parts (like the control arm shaft) that will increase repair costs. Just fix it right.
I only suggeted spraying anything as a means of pinpointing which part was squeaking. I guess I should have said so.Just a quick way to tell where the trouble is. I do not know and cannot see the actual condition of the mans front end parts. next time I will be a little more clear.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
I only suggeted spraying anything as a means of pinpointing which part was squeaking. I guess I should have said so.Just a quick way to tell where the trouble is. I do not know and cannot see the actual condition of the mans front end parts. next time I will be a little more clear.
Unfortunately the way it was worded, an inexperienced person might think that WD-40 was good enough...
Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I don't know on your Nova, don't remember, but unlike the junk made today MANY of the points on your Nova may be greasable. Look for zert fittings for a grease gun on the ball joints and tie rod ends and grease them up.

I know the Nova doesn't have control arm bushings that you can grease, but many cars did, my 65 Buick for instance does. But look at those bushings and see how they may be worn or not. These cars had a very high quality front end and yours could well be in good condition with only a link or two that needs to be replaces if you have a tight budget.

Brian

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.