Hot Rod Forum banner

74 to 65 rear end gear swap?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  65_Chevy 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have a question about my rear end. I've looked in most of the forums to see if i can answer my question but i didn't seem to find one. My questions is I have a 65 chevy truck and a 74 chevy truck the 65 is a 1/2 ton and the 74 is a 3/4 ton I was wondering if i can swap the gears in the rearend out but i wanna keep the posi that is in the 65 is this possible and if it is how would i do it. the 3/4 ton is 8 lug and the 1/2 ton is 6 i would just swap the axles but i want the 6 lug because i have a set of mag rims i wanna keep. Please let me know. I'm restoring my 65 and i'm trying to take as many parts off the 74 as i can. I'm gonna do an engine/trans swap too and take the disc brakes as well but i have to do it 1 at a time. Again thanks guys

#4 ·
65_Chevy said:
Hey guys i have a question about my rear end. I've looked in most of the forums to see if i can answer my question but i didn't seem to find one. My questions is I have a 65 chevy truck and a 74 chevy truck the 65 is a 1/2 ton and the 74 is a 3/4 ton I was wondering if i can swap the gears in the rearend out but i wanna keep the posi that is in the 65 is this possible and if it is how would i do it. the 3/4 ton is 8 lug and the 1/2 ton is 6 i would just swap the axles but i want the 6 lug because i have a set of mag rims i wanna keep. Please let me know. I'm restoring my 65 and i'm trying to take as many parts off the 74 as i can. I'm gonna do an engine/trans swap too and take the disc brakes as well but i have to do it 1 at a time. Again thanks guys

The brakes won't work either, they will if you want 8 lug but not if you want 6 lug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.