Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 74 chevelle 454 overheating
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUR317
Thanks Guys, I Have Already Changed The Thermostat 4 Times 160-180-190-and Then A 180 Again.my Bottom Rad Hose Is New And It Does Have The Spring In It.so I Will Try A New Rad. And Put The Spacers In The Hood To See If That Works Thanks Again.

Mur317

I Will Let U Guys Know How I Make Out
Typical of insufficient radiator capacity. Either the radiator is too small to cool the amount of heat being brought to it, or it's becoming internally plugged with debris collecting in the tubes.

Other issues where an automatic is connected to the oil cooler is a high stall converter and or internal band/clutch slippage is building heat in the oil. This gets dumped in the radiator's coolant adding to what it has to get rid of. Engine timing and mixture ratios can also contribute to coolant heat load. So does air conditioning, when it's used it takes considerable power off the engine that's made up for with more throttle and the cabin heat is usually disposed of in front of the radiator adding temperature to the air entering the radiator. So the radiator gets a double whammy out of this deal.

Thermostat, unless failing to remain open, has no effect on this problem. If you use a 160 stat instead of a 200 all you'll see is that you get another 5 minutes before the problem shows on the gauge, BFD.

A 454 connected to a TH350 and a 10 bolt rear is probably not a factory installation, so what is the history of this thing?

Bogie