74` chevy 6 cyl perfect idle with choke closed, and no vacum leaks .what should i do? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2004, 04:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Red face 74` chevy 6 cyl perfect idle with choke closed, and no vacum leaks .what should i do?

my 250 6cyl, runs fione when the choke is shut closed about 3/4 of the way, when i open it all the way it wants to off idle and get choppy..sptts out the tailpipe, when choke is open misfires,when choke is open rmp respnse if perfect, when steady rpm id set., krackle and pops out the tailpipe. when choke is closed ****ty response and no krackle or pop. IT NEEDs TO GET THROWED AWAY! i have checked and rechecked everything on the carb, even though i have just rebuilt it, it`s a rochester monojet off of a nova 6 cyl., if anyone knows what vacuum lines go where please let me know .. and/ or please give me some advice on what i can do to fix this problem.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

with the choke closed your killing the air to the engine, what happens with the choke closed is your getting the air just about right with the ratio of fuel, which tells you quickly the idle circuits are almost stopped up or the mixture is severly out of adjustment. if adjusting it makes no changes you`ll need to strip the carb and have it dipped likely to get them clear. that or clean it the best you can with carb cleaner and get into every passage, then go in behind it with high pressure compressed air, then hit them again with carb cleaner.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:06 PM

How did it run before you rebuilt the carb?
Was it pretty dirty inside when you first took it apart?

You could put that crap in the gas that cleans out your fuel line and the insides of your carb, but if the ports are 100% clogged it won't work. That crap has to flow through the ports in order to clean them.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but in my truck I put two 16 gallon treatments in about 5 gallons of gas, then drove around till the tank was completely empty. After that, I treated the other tank, then changed the fuel filter. Didn't hurt anything, but I don't believe any of the ports in my carb were clogged either.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

see the thing is, i have cleaned the carburetor completely, every passage is cleared, i sprayed through them wiht carburetor cleaner and every passageway squirts, but does that mean wiht the hgih pressure is WILL spray, but while the engine is running it doesn`t have enough vaccum for the gas to be PULLED THROUGH?, should i dissasemble the carberetor adn spray every passage wiht cleaner and shoot through wiht compressed air tomorrow. i will get back to you. i am going to try and find some cans of DIp to clean the carb completely. do u know of any convenient auto parts dealers that sell a kind of dip u r tlaking about?
thank you very much for adding some insight to my forum.. scott

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.