Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 74 chevy c10 ignitiont no power PLEASE HELP!
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguesswho View Post
so i went back out the next day after leaving the steering coloum on the floor of the truck still wired up and everything, and the next day i went out and i turned the key and everything works perfectly fine, the truck didnt move no body messed around with the wires or anything, i dont know what the hell s going on, the truck just sat there over night and the next day everything was fine, a main wire clip/conecter on the steering coloum from the 79 didnt match up to the one from the 74 truck every other connecter did, but one didnt and i kinda mashed it together and forced it in, so i thought maybe when i slammed the door a connetion got made, so i cut off both connecters and taped the wires together one at a time and wired everything up and put everything back together and it was working perfectly fine now and about 5 hours later i was with my friends and they wanted to see all the lights on the truck light up at night cuz it has 2 lights under the bumper and 5 lights on the roof like a big 18 wheeler, so i went to the back where the truck is and i turned the key forward in the on position and pulled out the light switch to turn on the running lights the lights didnt even get a chance to light up befor the power got cut again, the light up for a split second and now its happend again, i dont under stand this at all, today i unbolted the fuse box to see if there was any back connections or anything beheind it, nope everything looked fine and was connected fine, i looked under the hood and uplugged any wire connetions that i could see and if they were rusted or correted i leaned them up with some sand paper and liquid wrench, i only found one bad connection that was pretty rusted, but i leaned it up and doesnt look like it was the problem, i googled this problem and i found alot of pages about some fusable link somwhere? and my dads friend said somthing about a relay, i dont know what that is or does , any idea's?
Two things come to mind:

First is the ignition switch. It's bolted to the steering column under the dash area. The wiring may be loose or burned, or the switch could be out of adjustment, or worn out.

The other thing is the neutral safety switch. This could be the problem if you get normal operation after you jiggle the shifter or put it into Neutral instead of Park. If its that, the dash lights, etc. will still come on w/the key, but the engine won't turn over.