Hot Rod Forum banner

74 Nova rear Bumper

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  1ownerT 
#1 ·
I am restoring the rear bumper on my 74 hatchback to it's original position.
When purchased the bumper was tucked in by removal of the shocks.
I don't have those shocks, but I am hoping that someone can tell me how many inches out did the shocks push the bumper back, that way I can make steel blocks to bring it out.
I am in the middle of a $8000 facelift and really need this info.
The front has a newly chromed bumper purchased from BUMPER BOYS in California, with shipping and duties to Canada $1000

The chrome on the rear bumper is very nice, but that bumper has the holes for the rubber molding, I can't afford to buy a used one without those holes and get it chromed at this time.

Can I use another type of molding, those of you who faced the same situation, what did you do.
I can't find the moulding anywhere, and the damaged one that i have would probably be expensive to repair.

thanks for your time
Gilles

See less See more
#4 ·
I am a little confused...Are you wanting to be completely original? IMO, the 5mph bumpers with the shocks were butt ugly, tucking it into the car would help a lot, once again, just my opinion. How many holes were for the rubber strip and would it be possible to fill those holes with some chrome bolts? I see by a little searching some are converting to the 72 bumpers. Also, on a Nova site, dated yesterday, some guy has some for you for 50 bucks.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193504

#5 ·
dinger said:
I am a little confused...Are you wanting to be completely original? IMO, the 5mph bumpers with the shocks were butt ugly, tucking it into the car would help a lot, once again, just my opinion. How many holes were for the rubber strip and would it be possible to fill those holes with some chrome bolts? I see by a little searching some are converting to the 72 bumpers. Also, on a Nova site, dated yesterday, some guy has some for you for 50 bucks.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193504
I agree, they look much better with the OE's tucked or switching to 68-72's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.