Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

74 Olds Omega trans problem

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  joe_padavano 
#1 ·
If its not the vaccum modulator check the governor on the transmission the gear inside could be stripped off currently happened to my 74 omega yesterday if you do figure out the problem reply maybe my car has the same problem

#3 ·
74 olds omega tranny problem

My omega recently took a turn for the worst as I was driving down the road I noticed what seemed like the car wouldn't move when the gas was stepped on which then I pulled over and from a dead stop to driving the car would not shift out of first (automatic) it will shift if u hold the pedal to be floor around 55 mph it shifts out of first. A friend told me the vacuum modulator hoses could be bad so I checked that and alls in working condition does anyone know what it is. Thinking it could be the gear on the governor which is on the side of the transmission causing it to slip? Please help as its needed to be fixes. Store I go off to college

#4 ·
My omega recently took a turn for the worst as I was driving down the road I noticed what seemed like the car wouldn't move when the gas was stepped on which then I pulled over and from a dead stop to driving the car would not shift out of first (automatic) it will shift if u hold the pedal to be floor around 55 mph it shifts out of first. A friend told me the vacuum modulator hoses could be bad so I checked that and alls in working condition does anyone know what it is. Thinking it could be the gear on the governor which is on the side of the transmission causing it to slip? Please help as its needed to be fixes. Store I go off to college
It would help to know what engine and trans are in the car, but I'll assume you have a TH350 transmission. This problem is almost certainly related to the vacuum modulator. Simply inspecting the hoses and lines is not enough. Connect a vacuum gage to the hose that attaches to the modulator and verify that you have manifold vacuum at that point with the engine running. Rev the engine and verify that the vacuum at the modulator fluctuates up and down with throttle position and RPM. If not, fix this problem. If vacuum is correct, replace the vacuum modulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.