750 Holley mod for PCV hook-up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

750 Holley mod for PCV hook-up

Hey you guys,
I am considering removing the pressed in tube for the pcv hose on the base of the carb, and trying to tap the port for what I believe to be a 1/4"NPT elbow. I can't find out what size drill I need for a 1/4" pipe tap, or if the existing hole is already too large? I know its a 3/8" tube now. Can I just run the tap into the existing hole? Or should I say "hole to be"? Can I even get the tube out? Or will the elbow be too restrictive? The elbow has .220" ID where the tube has a .292"ID.
I want to run the pcv hose to the rear of the passenger side valve cover. Its going to get a little crowded in the general area because of all the vac. fittings and dizzy, but I'm trying to make the rest of the engine look better by keeping as much of the hoses and wiring in the rear of the engine.
I know other people have much more important issues that need attention,
but if anyone knows what size drill I need, or where to get a rubber 3/8" hose with a molded in 90 degree elbow, or any suggestions, I would be grateful.
ssmonty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02605 (Small).JPG
Views:	159
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	45109   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02624 (Small).JPG
Views:	172
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	45110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02626 (Small).JPG
Views:	185
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	45111  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Still learning .... happily

It would appear the pipe is already too large for the street el you are showing. there is also a compression fitting that slips over a straight tube that accepts an AN fitting and looks real clean. Measure the tube OD and see if you can find a supplier, I have used them before with ease
Bill
Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

1/8" X 27 NPT (aka "1/8 inch pipe thread") = 11/32 drill.
1/4" X 18 NPT (aka "1/4 inch pipe thread") = 7/16 drill.

Removing the port can be a chore. It WILL come out, but usually not very easily. I'd suggest you use a bolt or length of round stock that's a tight or at least close fit, inserted inside of the port. This will allow you to really get a grip on it (vice grips or channel locks) to twist it to free it up. If you find you have to use heat, I'd recommend you remove the base plate from the carb, lightly clamp it in a vice using padded soft jaws, and use the heat sparingly.

If the hole in the carb base is too small and you use the tap, because the tap is tapered, it can- and will- split the aluminum base plate unless the hole is drilled to the correct size to begin with.

As you tap the hole, check your work often so the threads don't become too "wide" to allow the new fitting to seal properly (remember the tap is tapered). Use a bit of thread compound when assembling to lube and seal the joint.

For molded hose, go to the parts house and ask to see their "wall"- usually hoses and such are hung up rather than piled into boxes or drawers. From their selection, there will many bends and lengths to choose from, should you want to go w/a molded rubber hose.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies!!!!
I gotta admit that I'd rather use a 90deg. rubber hose. I don't know why I didn't think of that hose wall! I just knew some auto company makes a hose that would be just right, but I couldn't come up with a part number.
Cobalt, your the man!
ssmonty
Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Still learning .... happily

The hose needs to be stiff enough to resist the low pressure of manifold vacuum it will be exposed to, MB used to have hose for the brake booster that had a wire wrap imbedded in the hose wall.
Bill
Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

You can get preformed 90deg 3/8" hose pcv hose from any chevelle, camaro, etc parts house. I did for my pcv valve hose. I hear ya on the carb connection. I also wanted a nice clean connection there. Ended up using a 3/8" PEX elbow, as in plumbing. They're nice and small, with a full 3/8" i.d. Filed the barbs a bit, because the hose is a TIGHT fit.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Just to follow-up.
Thanks again for the replies!
I went to the local NAPA to browse their hoses, but the local store didn't have very much to choose from in the size I needed(3/8").
I went to another parts place, and found a Gates hose PN 18031 that looked like it would do just fine with a little trimming.
Thanks again!
ssmonty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02642 (Small).JPG
Views:	112
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	45261  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.