76 Camaro with a t-350 Transmission, lost all movement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

76 Camaro with a t-350 Transmission, lost all movement

My 76 Camaro has a 350 with a 350TH Transmission. At a stop the transmission made a snapping sound, then there was no torque to the wheels in any gear. I thought the B&M Star Shifter Cable had snapped. Towed it home and just replaced the cable as per instructions. It shift into all gear from PARK to LOW as it should. The lever on the tranny clicks; but the car does not have that telltale bump as it usually does when it is placed into a driving gear.

* Checked the cable again
* Fluid is fresh and full- not overfilled.
* Good Vacuum to the modulator and it is new as well.

There is an intermittent tap or clank that sounds like it is coming from the driver-side bell housing when the car is started- no too loud; but detectable. I replaced the engine with a crate awhile back and only put about 500 miles on it before this happened. Did I miss something?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 05:58 AM

front pump is most likely the culprit.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

A pressure check would show if the pump is working.

If you have pressure, the converter turbine hub may have broke. The turbine turns the input shaft on the trans.

The forward drum may have cracked at the input shaft and that would result in now forward or backwards movement
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 PM

Somebody check me

My son's 76 Camaro has been running fine for the 2 years we have owned it. Recently there was a "snap" at a STOP sign and then there was no transmission in any gear. Towed home, replaced the shift cable and checked the selector lever (outside of case only so far). It matches the selector on the gearshift. The fluid is new and appears the right color- no burnt smell, no metallic glint. The tranny is a TH350C with the lock-up cable cut off.

My next best guess is that:

the torque converter alone is bad.
the oil pump is bad.
the interior bushing or assembly of the "selector lever" is bad.

In "park" the converter cannot be turned by hand- should I be able to turn it? The car does fire right up and remains idling as it should, so does that rule out a broken or detached flex plate? What else can be ruled out? What can be looked at before the transmission is removed?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
PATH=$PATH\:/usr/local/bin ; e

I think being unable to turn the converter by hand while in park is quite normal, because it is bolted to the flywheel and you would be trying to turn over the engine.

How about the drive shaft can it be turned in park? realizing of course that the rear would need to be in the air, tires off the ground.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
My son's 76 Camaro has been running fine for the 2 years we have owned it. Recently there was a "snap" at a STOP sign and then there was no transmission in any gear. Towed home, replaced the shift cable and checked the selector lever (outside of case only so far). It matches the selector on the gearshift. The fluid is new and appears the right color- no burnt smell, no metallic glint. The tranny is a TH350C with the lock-up cable cut off.

My next best guess is that:

the torque converter alone is bad.
the oil pump is bad.
the interior bushing or assembly of the "selector lever" is bad.

In "park" the converter cannot be turned by hand- should I be able to turn it? The car does fire right up and remains idling as it should, so does that rule out a broken or detached flex plate? What else can be ruled out? What can be looked at before the transmission is removed?
you say that in park that you cannot turn the converter by hand. like mentioned above, is that with the converter still bolted up to the flexplate? if not, odds are the pump gears have broke and would explain the lack of movement in any range as the trrans will not work with a broken pump. and the fact that the fluid doesnt smell burnt or any discoloration is also a good indicator that the pump has failed.
another way to verify if it is the pump, pull off a cooler line and start the engine and see if you have flow... good luck
Old 06-29-2011, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
... no transmission in any gear...
Did you verify that it is the transmission, and not the differential? I once had a pinion fail when leaving a stop sign at normal acceleration.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM

The differential? What breaks in there that would not allow the trans to engage? I am not being a ********... I just don't know the dynamic. There is no clunk like you get when you shift into gear, so I imagine the transmission is not engaging to even affect the differential.

I still have the car on jacks and it is still, as far as I know, bolted to the flexplate- if it were not, could the engine even start?

I guess I will grab the flexplate and see if it spins eve though the tC won't.

If it is the pump, should I replace or rebuild the entire transmission?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

First off, you will never be able to spin the converter by hand with it still bolted to the flexplate. Second, with it unbolted, it will spin in any gear - park and neutral included so this will tell you absolutely nothing. Start it while on jackstands, put it in gear and see if the drivershaft will turn. It prolly won't, as most likely you have snapped the input shaft. If the driveshaft does turn, the rear axle is the problem.

Russ
Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

JJJ, I Merged both of the threads into one since it all the same subject

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.