Hot Rod Forum banner

76 Monarch / Granada Steering column in 55 Fairlane

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
Help! I am putting a steering column and box from a mid 70s Monarch / Granada into my 55 Ford Fairlane. I've used the spindles from the donor car and have the powersteering cylinder fit in too and all seems well. I just put the body back on my chassis to check fit between the 429 and firewall. That's fine. I then test fit the steering column from the donor into the 55 (dash is out) and put one bolt through the master cylinder mount hole in the firewall to help align it. The steering shaft is a tube and has the rag joint coupler to go between shaft and box. However, it looks like while about the "right" length, the column shaft is about 2" to 3" higher than the box shaft and at a steeper angle. I am thinking a steering u-joint or combination of them with the hollow column tube being shortened to allow for the joints / angles. Does anybody have any thoughts on the "how to's" of this? About everything I read is about GM columns with shafts to attach the joints to but this column is hollow (tubular <man> :p ) with the "rag" joint 1/2 welded to the end. Is it possible to shorten the tube, buy a joint that will either attach over the tube (about 1.5" in diameter ??) or inside then either a double joint or a double with a single to get an angle (and quickly) to match up to the box shaft? Geez, I hope I described this so that you pros will understand what I'm saying!

Thanks in advance for the help here! :embarrass

See less See more
#2 ·
steering column

the industry standard in the 80's was 3/4 shafts and double D shafts and tubes... I did a willys using gm box and assorted ford and GM parts... there is and article at the home page in all that yellow writing about using chevy astro van shafts and u joints ... I had to use two on a 48 jeepster we are working on ... cut ,,,fit and heli-arc the pieces together ...I got rid of the rag joint and ordered a splined adaptor from speedway motors that I heli-arced to the u joint and also used allen set screws

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.