Hot Rod Forum banner

76 monte drum to disc brake conversion?

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
Hey guys I need some help..im removing my rear rend to send it to the shop next week..i have a 76 monte carlo and I dont want to use the rear drums..i also dont want to buy a disc conversion kit from summit they are expensive.and they dont include the calipers and discs that I want..i was wo.dering...is there a way to get around that kit? do I only need the backplate for the swap or?? Thanks for the help guys

#4 ·
To use the Wilwood caliper will take either a kit from Wilwood or duplicating the bracket for the caliper yourself. Wilwood used to make some GM-style floating capliers. You can get a kit minus the capilers from a few places like SUmmit and Speedway
The rear disc from a 94-96 Impala SS will bolt on to your housing and uses the internal shoe parking brake.

#6 ·
Wilwood calipers require Wilwood brackets. The only way to duplicate the bracket is to have one to copy. You could just use a complete rear disc brake system from a 4th gen F body. They have good PBR calipers and you can buy cross drilled rotors for them. They also bolt to your housing ends.

#10 ·
Im going to look into the 4th gen f body I hope they will fit..as for the welding...i dont know.if I would want to go that route simply because I dont know how..i just want a good.brake system since I am swapping to a 454 that is why I was leaning towards wilwood

#12 ·
to the o/p if you can.. find a 78-81 t/a with 4wdb get the e brake cables, the master and proportioning valve, the clappers and maybe the rotors(if they look turnable), the backing plate/clapper mount
the clappers are for rebuild or cores.. that be the cheapest... also same year caddy's(reardrive)
you can still get everything new.. rotors/clappers at your local parts house. allong with the master...
the p/p valve and backingplate/clapper mount you'll have to get from ames performance/yearone or other sources.. the e brake cables.. you can get from local jobbers or resto houses
good luck
fyi some 81 camaros had the ws6 rear disc also.. not many but some

#14 ·
Hey guys sorry for the late reply...I was wondering...is a ten bolt rear end from a 1990's blazer and a 2000 camaro ls1 a 8.5? I have been searching all over craigslist for a rear end that already has the posi and the disc brakes but i am not sure if they fit my application...

#16 ·
The full size blazer had the 8.5 rear end, but the housing ends were larger, so the brakes wouldn't bolt to a car rear end. The Camaro rear end is the little 7 5/8 10 bolt, but the brakes will bolt to other car rear ends. The S series trucks had 7 1/2, 7 5/8 and 8 1/2 rear ends. The 4.3 5 speed trucks has 8.5 rear ends, but the axle tubes are tapered down to 2 5/8 instead of 3 inches. The S series truck disc brakes had the internal shoe parking prake.

None of these rear ends will fit your car, but you can use some of the brakes. The only rear ends that will fit your car are the '73 to '77 Monte Carlo, Malibu, El Camino and other GM clones of these cars. Nothing else will bolt in without a lot of modifications.

#18 ·
Hey guys I know this conversation has ended a while ago..I was on Craigslist today and found a differential..its from a 1970-1981 camaro posi disc brake rear end..the guy told me this rear end is for leaf springs..but I really only wanted it since it was already posi and had the discs...he quoted $100 for the backing plate and calipers...I don't have much knowledge when it comes to this topic...but will this be enough to at least bolt on some rotors?? Is it a reasonable price???
Here's the link:
Http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3485744874.html

BTW does this rear end fit my application??

#19 ·
The WS6 disc brakes were not available on the Camaro. They were Trans Am only and were only used on the '79 to '81 second gen cars. They had cast iron calipers and were not considered to be very good. There are much better options out there. 4th gen F body disc brakes are much better and will adapt to the Monte Carlo rear end. The F body second gen rear end wil not work in the Monte Carlo unles you use ladder bars or after market 4 link. It was comon for the '79 to '81 Trans Am to have 2.56 gears, which would make the differential a 2 series and only good for 2.56 and 2.41 gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.