Hot Rod Forum banner

76 Monte whose "A_ _ is dragging

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  WayOutCat 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have a 76 Monte Carlo, when I bought the car a year ago the rear end sagged. I put new rear Coil Springs and Shocks and this fixed the problem. By the end of summer the rear end was sinking again so I installed Air Shocks. This solved the sagging problem, but, now the car really rides rough and gets a little squirrelly on fast acceleration. Probably has to do with raising the normal center of gravity. Anyway, my question is :

If I put an “Air Lift 1000” system with the bags that go inside the coil springs will this solve the sag, rough ride and decreased traction problems? Thanks for the help.

Joe

#3 ·
Are you sure you put NEW coil springs in the car, or were they new-to-the-car springs from another car?
Unless you're riding around with 300lbs, of manure in the trunk those new springs should have stayed just fine for years! Were they a brand name like MOOG or some weird Chinese AutoZone crap?
This just doesn't make sense....

#4 ·
pasadenahotrod,

They were brand new TRW Brand Coil Springs. After the new springs, the car did not sag as bad but the front end was still higher and made it a little difficult to see over the long hood.
No I don't have a trunk full of Manure LOL.

Joe

#5 ·
Hey I was joking!
In all seriousness you should have returned the springs if they sagged within a year.
They should have raised the car to stock height. That is you should have been able to slide a hand in on top of the tire with your little finger laying on the tread and your index finger just touching the wheel opening moulding.

#9 ·
air shocks were the only fix that worked to get my '65 Caprice (Impala) to sit right. Two different sets of new, good brand, heavy duty springs both failed to get the back end off the grass. The ride is okay, in my opinion. I've never heard of these airlift 1000 gizmos but now i'm interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.