76 Nova suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2005, 03:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

76 Nova suspension

My rear leafs are shot, dogtracking axel. I was wondering if anyne knew off what I could get a set of leafs that would work, So far every where I have tried ether A can't get leaf spirngs for a 76 nova, or B trys to tell me I don't have leaf springs, but coils, which is funny cause the leaf springs are off and sitting in my living room. I haven't measured yet, but I was thinking something like a astro van, or S-10 wuould have similar if tno the same springs. I am on abudget so I'll prbaby pick them up at a junkyard. Also I am looking for a tranny, atuo/stick doesnt't matter, would a four speed off a s-10 w/V6 orV* work on a 305 late model, it has been re bored, which I know doesn't make a difference but with the money in it it puts out a lot of HP, I don't want a tranny it'll eat up. I've found Hydras, and four speeds at junk yards, can't find five or three speeds, don't want a hydra, they like to loose 3 and reverse. Open to idea anbd suggestion on where to get a cheaper tranny and more importantly leaf springs.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Try www.car-part.com for the springs and tranny..If you measure the length and width of the existing springs you may be able to get a match with that info..provided you take your tape and hit the local pic apart..check the spring/axle locating studs as sometimes those are in a different spot from car to car....

OMT
Old 11-26-2005, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

Try www.eatonsprings.com

'75-'79 Nova and clones are a sure fit, but '68-'74 Nova & '67-69 Camaro springs might work. Not all of the last ones came with multi-leaf springs, however. GM started using multi-leaf exclusively starting in '73.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
Try www.eatonsprings.com

'75-'79 Nova and clones are a sure fit, but '68-'74 Nova & '67-69 Camaro springs might work. Not all of the last ones came with multi-leaf springs, however. GM started using multi-leaf exclusively starting in '73.
hi dos any one have a 75 nova with a 454 in it
Old 12-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortamenx
My rear leafs are shot, dogtracking axel. I was wondering if anyne knew off what I could get a set of leafs that would work,

Thanks.
Dog-tracking is not a spring problem, but usually a bushing problem and/or your U-bolts have loosened and allowed your springs to slip.

Nova stuff is readily available. Check with Year One and Eaton Detroit Spring.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:59 PM

Dogtracking not spring problem? I always thought that is what it was, well my axel on driver side is touching back fender, the passenger side is dead center in the tire well, so major can't dirve dog tracking. Spring is broken I mean gone, just sitting on lifts, no suspension relly but the tires. U Bolts are good and tight, main bolt on Leaf is shot, with the spring, I thought that with the U held the axel in place, my reasoning was with the springs broke the axel had play back and forth since th springs are sliding back and forth. But bushings, never thought of that in rear suspension. The U are fine, any easy ways to check bushings, got two foot snow on the ground now. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:01 PM

by the by, s 10, and s 15 springs will work ditto with s 10/15 tranny if is come off 6 cyl or bigger. But as in my above post, my springs are bad, but if they aren't the problem with dogtracking that is #1 prioty.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:29 PM

As for my above 2 post, #1 Duh had a brain freeze forgot where the bushing where, I know the end of the leaf springs, thats what you get after a 32 hour day. So yeah I know how to check them and where they are Dumb moment. 2nd part U bolts I am going to check them out tomorrow, I"m sure bushings are good, I remember looking at them before winter, so on to dog tracking I'm down to U bolts, if they aren't caused by leafs, if U bolts are good, could it be the lifts? My car has like 6 inch lifts on it, basically, sitting on lifts, All the wight is on axle, I know that is where it goes, but from lifts. Would lifts cause axel issue. Back Back tires, driver side touching rear tire well, pass, dead center in well, so axel has moved if not Leafs I've been told to check Us, which I will do tomorrow. Sure Bushings are good, Leafs are bad, idiot bfore me put 6 or so inch lifts on 30 year old springs. By the way with out lifts, I took them out car sits approx. 2 inches from ground. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortamenx
Dogtracking not spring problem? I always thought that is what it was, well my axel on driver side is touching back fender, the passenger side is dead center in the tire well, so major can't dirve dog tracking. Spring is broken I mean gone, just sitting on lifts, no suspension relly but the tires. U Bolts are good and tight, main bolt on Leaf is shot, with the spring, I thought that with the U held the axel in place, my reasoning was with the springs broke the axel had play back and forth since th springs are sliding back and forth. But bushings, never thought of that in rear suspension. The U are fine, any easy ways to check bushings, got two foot snow on the ground now. Thanks.

Damn, I guess I should polish my crystal ball........ I didn't see that your spring was physically broken..... damn ball, spent a thousand dollars on my eyes and now the ball is not working.....

EDITED/ added

My answer to you is : Junk all the crap that is under there, Buy new springs and shocks, install NEW BUSHINGS and shackles,and start anew.
IF your rubber bushings are 30 years old they are NO GOOD.

ooops, check below.......

Last edited by xntrik; 12-05-2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: good night's sleep
Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 PM

Wow this is the rudest I've ever been on, been threatened twice, now this smug remark. I'd smack you across the face you said this to me in person. I've noticed everyone on here thinks their ***** don't stink, say you want I'm done with this site, I don't need smart *** remarks, you want to give on track me down tell me in person, hell I might even pay your fare to get here. Don't sing it just bring it, later, well never I guess I should say, have fun at this site I"m gone, Mr. Moderator ban/block/delete me please it would be a blessing, then again it doesn't matter because I'm gone.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Well, So much for tongue-in-cheek humor, huh?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.