Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '76 sbc build , need more head advice
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 01:27 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'76 sbc build , need more head advice

Hey Red & OldBoogie. I was reading thread on poor mpg,kinda like mine.I need your advise.I put the used motor in my car to get her running and was planning on a 383 later when I had the coin.Until recently anything I got from USA was at 66% premium.The car has been a money pit,which is kinda OK, but I still like to shave it down if I can.
A friend had a sbc performance built, not alot of miles and he didn't pound it.I'm buying it cheap.He's always wheeling and dealing and this motor has just been sitting.specs 4 bolt block, forged crank, forged flat top 10:1 pistons,good rods,decked,462 64 cc heads gasket matched,it had a 290* 500'' cam which I don't want, dual valve springs with seat pocket cut into head.
All that math stuff you posted still has me a bit mind boggled, I think I've sniffed too much cat fur and I'm blocked. :o)
I see what you're talking about with cam and rear gear ratios, but I'm not able to pick what I need.I was thinking of a Lunati cam 60102,in part because of the CR(friend said he used reg gas tho),but now reading about break in on this cam and I'm worried.Any suggestion on a cam?Smaller Lunati?I'd like to keep my TH350 as it's fresh and I'd have to change my cross member and maybe floor for a 700R.
The car weighs about 2700lbs, what would be a good rear gear for mpg with this motor and tranny, now a 2:73 posi? I'd hate to change it only because I don't like gear oil, yuck. :o) Cisco