Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '76 sbc build , need more head advice
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cisco,
my conclusion:
you have got a REALLY REALLY bad case of CABIN FEVER!!!!

each post you add contradicts your previous posts for facts and priorities....

my best advice is leave the car and motor alone till you can get out doors and soak up some sunshine to clear your head!

you just layed down 30' of rubber with a fresh motor that is not even broken in or tuned and has close to best cam and CR for 87 octane mpg potential and burned 30' with a tall 2.73 posi!

yes, a 10/1 motor "can" survive and run on 87 octane.....as long as you are willing to give up a lot of power and a lot of mpg....by setting the timing to about 26- 30* WOT max timing (and likely almost no vac advance timing for mpg).....

the lunati cam (219/227) performance was designed and based on a 350 with 36-38* WOT timing (and ok to use about 10*'s+ additional of vac advance)...

just a guess... but the 10/1 motor with the 219/227 cam would be about 260HP max with only 30* WOT for 87 octane same as you have now (versus 340HP? with 36* and 94 octane and lunati cam)...your "buddy" is being less than honest or is ignorant telling you 87 octane is fine on a approx 200psi 10/1 combo

and the 10/1 motor will get worse mpg and crummy acceleration with only 30* of timing.....

a friendly suggestion:
Do some reading in the "Knowledge Base" link (excellent articles and threads) at the top of this page and the Hot Rodding basics forum till you better understand the fundamental "rules" for building a performance motor and drive train before ya get out your wallet

and this link is the most comprehensive library of learning and tech and how to's I know of....
click on a catagory on the left like...performance
click on each magazine...
click on the tech section

http://www.simautomotive.com/

(side note to all...just so ya know...somebody "gutted" the knowledge base for content...alot/most(?) of the best articles are gone....that's why I am adding the old primemedia link now to my posts)...

Last edited by red65mustang; 03-24-2008 at 10:04 AM.