Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '76 sbc build , need more head advice
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 09:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cisco,
I just realized what a dumb sh## I have been (my friggin' brain doesn't work anymore either!)....I broke my own #1 rule!....."Assume nothing, check everything!"

I hadn't looked in your project pic's till just now!!!!....
that looks like a Victor Junior open plenum intake manifold....

that's a serious mis-match no-no to the rv cam...

that intake is designed for a motor that cruises at atleast 3,000 rpms to have enough Hg to make enough A/F velocity to make a decent "quality" "atomized" A/F mix for a good power fuel burn...

it designed for a motor that "operates" at 2500min-6500HP peak rpms with a "mega" cam and high CR (like the 10/1 motor)....

the rv cam is designed to work from 1500-4500HP peak and wants a very high velocity A/F mix at that rpm band from a small runners dual plane intake....

that open plenum intake is likely the (75%?) reason the motor has no balls and really crummy mpg...

there's not nearly enough A/F velocity with the open plenum intake to keep the gas in suspension till it gets into the combustion chamber....the gas is turning back to a liquid in the intake and liquid gas makes no power at all just dripping into the cylinders...

a stock 350 iron intake is actually the best choice for a rv cam... (nah, 20lbs+ more weight..I can't/won't do that on my car..)

sell the open plenum on ebay and buy a used performer 350 intake off Ebay...that will work fine and a whole lot better for "pep" and mpg and very likely chirp the tires!!!!...

with a open plenum and a rv cam I haven't a clue what the vac guage will read..... but basically 6Hg to 13Hg =crummy A/F mix quality=major power loss=not enough suction for the carb to make a good mix and velocity...(so all I can do is take a wild guess what you will see when you get to test with the vac guage):
your idle Hg should be 18-20...likely about 10-12
your 2k no load Hg should be about 20....likely about maybe 13-14
your 60mph cruise hg should be 18+...likely only maybe 12

the good news...very likely your tranny is plenty good as is....

it will be just a total waste of time to try to tune/adjust the vac advance timing with that open plenum intake for mpg and acceleration...but it is a kinda' fun "tinkering" project...and does teach you alot about what a motor is actually doing while you drive....

re: staying busy till warm weather?
remove and improve/refurbish the 100's of small parts (brackets/SS trim/knobs/tailight housings/whatever) that you can work on in the house...so many of those parts do take forever to do....prepped for paint, those parts will be fine stored for 3 months+ in the house

LOL...this thread would have been a whole lot shorter if I had been smart enough to look in your album before my first post...or if you had listed that intake as part of your motor description....
no balls with what should be a 340ft/lbs+ motor and only 2700 lbs just didn't make sense....only took "my brain" a week(?) to figure out why!...your motor is way down on TQ with that intake