Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 77 C10 stepside electrical problems
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

77 C10 stepside electrical problems

Well, here's my story. It's a '77 C10 stepside 350/350 Hydro. My mother bought it for me as a welcome home gift, for coming back from my second tour of duty, from a salvage yard. This was in 2006 and has been running (limping around) just fine....UNTIL NOW! It won't turn over and I had a shop bench test the starter, good. At the time i was stuck in a lot in the dark doing all this and found some freyed wires and tought it would be the problem. i cut and twisted them together for a better connection and it started up first try.
The next day I bought some 10ga. and connectors and repaired it properly and tried to turn it over, nothing.
OH, as I tried to start it so i could move it to the driveway for repair, it didn't start. i retwisted the wires again and it fired up first try.
Now I'm stuck and even with a wiring diagram, dvom, logic probe and a whole lot of frustration.
I had my ol'lady turn it over while I check for power/ground and it's definantly switching but not even a 'click'. The igniotion switch was my first thought, but i can see that my batt is 'under load'. so it has to be working....right?
the next thing i thought it was is the starter sol. I tried to jump it with a button type, and again double checking with my logic probe to make sure that i had power on the batt. side and gound on the other. With koeo and logic probe on the ground side(green LED) I pushed the button and nothing....BUT, i got a red LED signifying that it sent power through. Am i missing something?

please help,
Cpl. boyd