Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 77 C10 stepside electrical problems
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
While I'll agree a good ground is most important, I disagree with the advice given above...... Make sure the ground you currently have is in fact making good, clean and tight contact with the engine block. That is your main ground period! you should run a grounding strap to the frame but not to ground the starter, you are correct the starter gets it's ground from the block.
I agree with you disagreeing...if that makes sense...I suggested this not as a fix but rather find out if he has a good ground...yes, the starter get's it's ground from the block, what I was suggesting was just an elimination process, the proper repair, if in fact it is the ground, is to make sure that he "is in fact making good, clean and tight contact". The reason i suggested this method was because the truck is a 1977 and who knows how much rust oil grease or whatever has accumulated over the last 36 years.

I recently repaired the headlights on a 1930 Ford the customer had cleaned up the ground and still couldn't get the headlights to consistently stay on...it wasn't until I ran a seperate ground to the headlights that they remained on. I believe we are saying the same thing just different ways to go about it.