Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 77 Camaro needs to loose weight!
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've spent many years drag racing, and for every car that makes an occasional trip down the strip, there's thousands that never see the strip, or get "tested" on the strip.
Of course if there's a chance you want to drag race it someday, then by all means make it safe. And even if it never sees the strip it should be safe. But you can build a safe street car and enjoy it forever and not drag test it.
My '71 Camaro has not seen the strip since 1989, but I left the harnesses and rollbar in it when I did the total restoration, not because I ever planned to test it again, but because it's part of the car's 16 yr. history when I raced it from 1973-1989. Likewise my street gasser has rollbar and harnesses, but it may never see the strip. I know what it can do, and don't need to test it at the track to get an exact number.
The percentage of people who actually get around to taking their cars to the strip is very small when compared to all the hotrods and muscle cars on the road that never see the track.