Hot Rod Forum banner

77 Camaro rear end donor

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
Hi - i know firebird rear ends swap right in - but nova's seem to have sketchy data on years 75..

I have an 8.5 rear 2.73 - im looking at an axle from a 75 nova - some say they are 7.5 OR 8.5, some say only 8.5.. depending on engine size - is this true? Is there a chance of finding a 7.5 on a 75?

mine is multi leaf perch - and the nova is apparently 1" narrower than my camaro - will this make any difference? I have 245/60/15's on the back and no issues.. surely 1/2 an inch wont cause any issues?

tx guys

#2 ·
The Nova and other X body cars used the 8.5 rear end from '72 to '75. In '76 the V8 cars still used the 8.5 up to '79, but the inline 6 cars got the 7.5 rear end. The X body rear end is 1 inch narrower, but more important, the spring perches are about 2 1/4 inches closer together. You can't use it in the Camaro unless you move the spring perches.

#3 ·
Awesome info gearhead, tx for that! well im in luck then i guess - might just swap internals into my camaro rear - its in exc shape. its an 8.5 but my car was originally an inline 6.. is that possible or did someone swap it out perhaps?

Now i really hope that nova has posi - then ill be jumping for joy! it arrived at the bone yards 2 days ago - hold thumbs. $80 aint bad for a entire rear setup 8.5"

:)

#4 ·
All of the '71 to '81 Camaros and Firebirds got the 8.5 rear end, no matter what engine was installed. If you do swap the internal parts just remember that you have to set the pinion depth, bearing preload and backlash all over again.

The 8.5 X body rear ends are very popular with the 1st gen Camaro owners. If the housing is in good condition you can sell it to one of them. It's a bolt in for those cars.

#5 ·
Your right on the nova rear ends. 75-79 used the light duty rears for the six bangers and the 10 bolt 8.5 rears for the v-8. I looked for a long ime to find my 3.42 posi and I found it out of totaled camero. don't remember what year the camero was, but I think it was a 73 for some reason. My nova is the 77 XY body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.