Hot Rod Forum banner

'77 Corvette fusible links?

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
I replaced the battery in my 'vette that had been sitting for awhile and although there is plenty of power for the interior lights, radio, etc., I can't even get a 'click' from the starter. I think the logical next step is to find the links but hate to chase the wiring (especially with the battery behind the driver's seat!) if I can find out where the links are on this car. My aftermarket shop manual doesn't give any detail. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
marietta mark said:
I replaced the battery in my 'vette that had been sitting for awhile and although there is plenty of power for the interior lights, radio, etc., I can't even get a 'click' from the starter. I think the logical next step is to find the links but hate to chase the wiring (especially with the battery behind the driver's seat!) if I can find out where the links are on this car. My aftermarket shop manual doesn't give any detail. Any help is appreciated.
Doc here, :pimp:

Those battery boxes are a pain :pain: aren't they? What were they Thinking?

Look on the Left side of the battery box, should be a phenolic single terminal block with positive wires on it, fuse links should be there, or at the main starter bolt on the starter solenoid..

Another VERY common problem ( Especially if you have power everywhere else) is corrosion in the switch, or chaffed wires going through the column (because of the dynamics of tilt/telescoping) Don't rule that out..that happens on ALL my Vettes about twice a year..Try working the switch quickly while tilting/telescoping the column, sometimes this will bring it to life..

THE OTHER most common and most likely problem is a FAILED or Maladjusted Neutral safety Switch..Try starting it going through the gear ranges to see if it won't start somewhere else besides N or P (if Automatic) or just jumper the switch and see if the car starts .. BUT BE CAREFUL, It will start in ANY gear.

If still nothing , try jumpering the Main Solenoid Battery bolt to the "S" terminal on the block side of the solenoid, to see if it cranks..be prepared for a "BIG SPARK" as you do it..( so you don't bump your head when you jump...) This will rule out or include the starter and solenoid as a culprit.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.