Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '77 Nova swap 6 banger for v-8
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 02:59 AM
San Diego Stingray

Wiki Edits: 0

My last ride before building this Corvette, was a '70 Nova. While it was a V8 car to begin with, (307) and had the auto matic trans, I went through a lot of drive train changes after selling the 307 and building my 350.

First, I went through a couple of Turbo 350 transmissions. I had the OEM one built twice until it blew up on a 6500RPM 1-2 shift. Then I went to a Turbo400 and never had another issue. I had to get a different driveline made for the 400.

Then I blew up the OEM 7.5" Rear end. Many pieces. I got a 12-bolt housing from a Gen1 Camaro, to replace the ol' 10 bolt with. Yet another custom driveshaft of course. BUT - That drivetrain lasted for years under much abuse. I ran 4:11 gears and let me tell ya: That Nova ran like a rocket! Wish my Vette was as light and as immune from SMOGGING as that good ol' Nova. I miss it.

That '70 Nova was a great & fast car. I drove it through 7 states before selling it.