Hot Rod Forum banner

77 Trans Am 4-speed

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sapsz28 
#1 ·
Was a muncie an available Transmission in 77? And Was the Muncie made by Borg-Warner? Thanks

#3 ·
Last Muncie 4-speed was in 1974, then GM switched near the end of the year to the Super T-10, which is a stronger trans IMO. The '77 TA would have a 2.43 low gear ST-10 if it is the original trans, aluminum case and tailhousing with an iron side cover. Side cover is shaped like a capital letter "D" laid on its side and retained by 9 bolts.

Saginaw was used in low power vehicles and is all iron, with all three shift levers coming out of the side cover.

#4 ·
I have my build sheet for my Z28 Bougt from Don MCCURDYs CHEV-OLDS in Belleville/ Ontario/Canada, order # 637236 show that the car was built in Norwood Ohio and that the transmission was and still is a quote <M21 SP C/RAT HU, I had it rebuilt this summer and it is the # matching tranny the car was built with,and this is in 1980,was the Trans Am not also built in Norwood Ohio Gig F body plant,it just might be possible get the # off the casing and research them or the vin# of the car see where and when it was built what plant etc,also look under the drivers seat in the foam area between the springs and the foam or under the resr seat you might be lucky as I was and find your build sheet.
Ps I had a 77/TA auto with 2:41s in the rear and my build sheet which I did find where I told you to look, said Norwood Ohio. never say never. If you find the sheet have it laminated they are so rare its the cars Birth Certificate.

#5 ·
Just to add some clarification to what sapsz28 has posted, his build sheet has the M-21 code for the manual transmission, but that does not mean "Muncie". "M-21" was just the build sheet code for equipping the car with a close-ratio 4-speed transmission, which after 1974 up to the introduction of the T-5 in 1983, meant that it was a Borg Warner Super T-10 trans.

The last factory installed Muncie 4-speed was in 1974 but the M-20 and M-21 codes lived on assigned to the Warner trans. Just like the TH-400 is an M-40 and the Th-350 is an M-38.

#6 · (Edited)
77/ta

Fair enough if you say so but my transmission is a muncie M21 and it is a # matching transmisssion for my car built in 1980, maybe a few of us got lucky and a stockpile of new old stock was found and thrown on the line at various shifts to meet quotas so that no reordering had to be done to trow quality control #s off,it happens to this very day at the Chrysler plant in Brampton /Ontario where my brother is a quality control engineer,and if there is a run of cars say750 units of srt8 challengers and they come up 2 transmissions short of the proper type to ber put rather than reorder they will find a tranny from a regular hemi and put it in instead it's all about the bottom line ,we all have heard story's of motors and or drive trains that have no business on the street yet they some how manage to find their way there,especially at the beginning or end of a model year with significant changes IE 76 to 77 for the TA or 79 to 80 for the Z28,just some food for thought I can only advice on what I have in my possession,good luck with your TA its a beautiful car.

#8 · (Edited)
77/ta

fine but when concrete evidence is presented to you at least try to keep an open mine not just what you read,unless you worked the line and saw the last one put in,regardless,no use flogging a dead horse,if your ever at draway park cayuga /ont I;ll be there and race you for pinks if your right, october 2-9-and 15,all three fridays 20 bucks to get in, then run from 7:00pm till 11:00pm as many times as you want ,take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.