Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzco View Post
I thought a vacum is a vaum, but I made sure new hose was new and small clams to ensure they did not slip off. The vacum I have is located just behind the carb, I would say half way between the carb and distributor. There is no obstructions in the vacume, should there be??
If you are taking the vacuum from the intake, you are OK. The vacuum line need no restriction in it.

After reinstalling the trans have you rechecked the fluid level in Park w/the engine running?

Be careful using clamps on small diameter rubber tubing. Many of the small hose clamps will actually distort the tubing because they don't go that small, so if you use a clamp, use one like:

And NOT like:

The line has to fit tightly onto the nipples at both ends and there can be no splits or cracks in the rubber or steel lines at all. If you plug one end of the modulator line and pull a vacuum w/your mouth or a vacuum pump on the other end, the vacuum should hold for as long as you apply the vacuum. Same for the modulator itself- it has to hold a vacuum and the plunger has to retract when vacuum is applied to it.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-17-2012 at 09:49 PM.