Old 07-18-2012, 10:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzco View Post
Yes, I did ensure that proper amount of fluid was in the transmission. I put the rear end up on jacks and shifted to reverse and drive. Then I made sure the kick down switch is working, by listening to the click inside the tranny. The hose goes from he manifold stright to the modulator, the small clamps shown above were use. I have checked and rechecked twice, so it seems that I will need to pull the pan and gear box for a cleaning. Any other ideas before, I get to this sloppy job, LOL
The term "gear box" usually refers to a manual transmission in its entirety. If you are taking off the tranny pan the next thing you will see is the filter (which should be changed while its apart) and the valve body and associated shift linkages, kick down solenoid, etc.

If you take the VB off, pay attention to the check balls- don't lose any. Removing the valve body (VB) will also mean replacing the gaskets. One way of getting the gaskets is to but a shift kit like from TransGo (B&M are more expensive and not as good IMO- ymmv). If you have a tranny shop in your area or a good guy at the NAPA counter you can buy them separately. There's a page on the TH400 here for reference. It's based on a thread originally posted by a good tranny guy, jakeshoe.

Use plenty of kitty litter under the tranny for any spillage. Remove the pan bolts in such a way that one side will tip down to drain about half the fluid before you take the pan all the way off. I'd suggest you wear goggles and old clothes. But unless you have a lift or are very careful, you're bound to get old ATF all over the place.