77 vette help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2005, 08:25 AM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

77 vette help!

Hello gang,Here's the score.I am going to be restoring the paint and body portion of a 77 Corvette.It has been stripped with fiberglass stripper by the owner .Where does one go from here?I have read alot of threads about this and kinda know the pit falls,but I wanna get a clear game plan before I start....any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilone
Hello gang,Here's the score.I am going to be restoring the paint and body portion of a 77 Corvette.It has been stripped with fiberglass stripper by the owner .Where does one go from here?I have read alot of threads about this and kinda know the pit falls,but I wanna get a clear game plan before I start....any suggestions?
My suggestions:

Sand your bare fiberglass with 120 and make sure all traces of stripper are gone. Don't sand anymore than just scuffing it up for good adhesion. You don't want to get down into the fibers. (Hopefully, the correct kind of stripper was used as the wrong kind will expose and penetrate these fibers.)

Start out with a polyester primer.
Sand it flat with a long sanding board and 180 dry. This block sanding is really critical to do correctly if you want a quality looking paint job.
It will probably take 2 -3 coats to get it really flat.

Sand your polyester primer with 320 or 400 dry before applying a coat of a Urethane 2K primer. Sand with 400 wet.

Then decide what you want for a top-coat. The original Acrylic Lacquer, a Single Stage Urethane or Base Coat/Clear Coat Urethane would be what I would choose from.

I just went thru this process with my '69 roadster.

Good luck. Keep asking questions here. You will get lots of help.

Roger

Last edited by roger1; 10-19-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Roger!I own a body shop so I am skilled in the art of paint and body,I was asking more on the product side .Like should I gel coat it first or go right into primeing.Also how would I know if it needs to be gel coated again ?I guess im just trying to do the best job I can do and give the guy a job that will last him for years to come.Once again...Thanks for the help!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilone
Thanks Roger!I own a body shop so I am skilled in the art of paint and body,I was asking more on the product side .Like should I gel coat it first or go right into primeing.Also how would I know if it needs to be gel coated again ?I guess im just trying to do the best job I can do and give the guy a job that will last him for years to come.Once again...Thanks for the help!
If the fiberglass hasn't been damaged, I'd go right to the polester primer. I used Evercoat Slick Sand and I think that stuff is super. Super high build, easy to work with and your putting polyester over polyester since that is what fiberglass resin is.

If the fibers are really showing because the original gel coat is gone you can get a spray gel coat from Ecklers out of Florida. I used it once and it's kind of a pain to work with. But I thought it was a good product.
Maybe someone else can chime in here and advise as whether epoxy primer might be a good option instead of the spray gel coat. Barry knows a lot about these older Vettes.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Painting fiberglass

Well I do not pretend to be "super painter" but this popcedure we used in the boat shop:

1st) Scrub that thing with hot sudsy soap and water until you are satisfied that all the wax, strippers and other things are removed. use scotch brite pads for this they work good.

2nd) Spray 2 wet coats of epoxy primer sanding litely between coats.

3rd) Spray a coat of the high build sanding primer and block out the panels. If there are any deep scratches reamaining then use some of the evercoat or similar material on those.

That should prepare the panels for your Bc/Cc which is then applied normally as any paint job would be done.

Gel coat is designed to be the final finish in glass work and provides the uv protection to the glass. A good paint job will do the same thing..

OMT
Old 10-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Stripper on a 77 is not an issue if he rinsed with water.

Since we don't know what he has done, if I were doing it it would be this way.

Set in sun for an hour.
Use warm to hot water mixed with soap, and wash with gray scotch pad and rinse each panel as you scrub.
Personally I would do this to the car twice with a overkill on the rinsing.
Dry and pull outside for rest of day.
Next day,
I would DA car with 180 than wash with wax and grease remover and let set for 30 or more minutes.
Spray two good coats of epoxy with 30 minutes flash between coat.
Let set overnight than use and do whatever you want.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

DANG guys!!!!Thanks so mutch!Sounds like I was headed in the right direction,but you guys got me goin there in a straight line....lol.Mabey this will be the one I try that SPI primer out on....lol.Thanks again.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.