Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 77pontiac door hinge
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,120 Posts
The bushings are what I am talking about. Listen, worn hinges on those cars can go everywhere from just a bushing to the hole where the bushing sits being worn out almost to the point of breaking thru the edge of the hinge! You have no idea where you are, you don't know if you simply need a pair of bushings on one hinge, or if both your hinges are shot and will need major repair or replacement.

We can't see it, so we don't now either.

As I said earlier, those doors will often have hinges that were ignored until the back of the door is dropping a half inch and the striker is literally broken off the quarter panel from being HIT by the door, the door latch is often broken all up for the same reason. Worn so bad that the door is hitting the fender at the bottom when it is open and closed, that the glass is hitting the B pillar with the rubber and trim that holds the rubber being destroyed. In that case, yes the hinges are likely worn so much that replacement or serious repair by welding up the hole and grinding it to size again is needed.

But the door is very long, just a TINY amount of wear on those bushings will multiply out to a quarter inch by the time it gets all the way to the end of that loooonnnnggg door. Understand? I don't know the geometry term. But if you door is simply "misaligned" with the back dropping a little so the doesn't open and close real nice, there is a very good possibility that we are talking simply bushings.

Get down on your knees next to the car and open and close the door. Just open it about an inch or so, get your head level with the top of the door and pop it open, then close it and see how much it is dropping. You may be will need to put a piece of masking tape across the opening of the door to the quarter to see it but it shouldn't be too hard to see.

Check that out and let us know how much it is dropping.

Does your door have any electrical connections? Any speakers, power windows? Pulling the door off with some help isn't a big deal at all. I have actually done hinge bushings without even removing the door all the way when there are wires going to the door. I literally had it on a box with someone holding it. Did them in minutes. But this is if there is no wear in the hinge.

Brian