Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 77pontiac door hinge
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthninja
yes I do have electric windows, and I get what your saying now. I will check that out asap (once it gets here). I am thinking from what you said I will need a new striker, and both hinges. My goal is for it to shut properly and seal like new. Spread the word man I found a sweet website for some older cars. cheap and quality parts.

http://www.classicindustries.com
Check out my photo of a pair of bushings. The wall on that bushing is pretty thick and can wear quite a bit before there is damage to the hinge. Just minutes ago we had a Chevy Trailblazer in for this problem. Thinking about this thread I took particular attention at this one. You could see a little movement in the hinge bushings when the back of the door was lifted, the upper hinge bushings. You could see no abnormalities what so ever when looking at the things bushings, they didn't look worn at all just visually looking at the door hinge when the door is open. So this shows you how little it can be worn to throw off the door. This door was dropping a good 1/4-3/8 inch.

Now, that being said, if the door is left like this and it continues to wear as the door is slammed shut over and over and over........now you end up with worn or damaged latch, striker, hinges, quarter where the striker mounts,etc.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2269.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	63037