Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

78-79 bronco rearend options.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rubberman2003 
#1 ·
I have a 78 or 79 bronco (its in a barn) I was wanting the rearend out of it for my drag car that im building. Im going to check if its a 9" for sure in the next few days. I was just curious if anyone knew what rearends came stock in those two years of broncos. I do know that it is the stock rearend. Its 4x4, 351 modified, 3 speed manual transmission. If you can help me out i appreciate it.

#2 ·
Should be a 9",80% chance its' an open diff, if it has a factory traction-lock you may need to change to a after market locker because the factory unit can do some weird stuff as far as lock,unlock turning corners and straight line acc it will pitch you side ways some times.How do I know this I have one in a 84 Ranger and it has done some weird things over the time that I have had it in the truck.Every one that I have talked to about it tells me to replace it with a after market unit. If you are going to use it for track use only it might be fine.
A way to check and see if it has a locker is to jack up truck to get one back wheel off ground ,with trans in neutral,try to rotate wheel ,if it turns it a open diff,if not it's a locker.
Hope this helps
Good Luck

Kenny

#6 ·
Thanks for all the advice....i have another 9"...im not sure what its out of...its under the bed of some old truck..the rest of the truck is gone. Im going to look at it closer when i get a day off from work. As for tubbing, i dont think i will right now. I wont be running fast enough to start with to need it, and i dont want to mess all that atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.