78' bronco ideas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 12:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

78' bronco ideas?

Howdy folks. At this point im not sure whether or not my truck classifies as a hotrodd but its getting there. I was born in 78' which adds to my love for my big yellow 78 Bronco. I have recently come across a bit of money to "pimp my ride" and am trying to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck. The rig its self is pretty clean. No dents good paint, albeit yellow, the underside has all been treated with a spray on protectant similar to line-x or something, it was done before i got it so who knows. its got a 351m/400, C6 tranny, and mostly stock suspension. Anyhow Ive got around $6,000 to spend and am trying to figure out how to make it wheelie across an intersection like the one i saw on cruise night when i was 10. Thats probably what sparked my interest in the convertible/4x4 but i seem to have an affinity for the almost cartoon like lines on them when they have the right stance ,not too jacked up like you could walk up and push it over, but more like some 35's and a couple of tasteful inches of clearance. i mostly drive on the street so articulation is not a major concern. Anyway if anybody out there is bored enough to offer me some suggestions i would be much obliged. Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Welcome. The 'Read Me' thread at the beginning of this section has a lot of good info for new members including a recommendation to not post questions here, rather post them in the proper forum. You will get a lot more traffic on this one if it were posted in the 'General Rodding Tech' forum.

The main spec for a wheel standing vehicle, assuming there is adequate horse power which your 351 should have, is to get the center of gravity waaaaay back in the vehicle. People use sever engine set back, moving the rear axle forward, aluminum, fiberglass, etc., light weight materials, all of which are $$ and a lot of work. Also, traction bars are a good idea so there isn't any axle wrap as the car launches. There is a lot of material on all of these topics on this site.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

well now, i guess i must apologize for posting a question in the wrong forum...sorry. My intro did sorta turn into a question but then again that is the reason i am here so its not irrelevant. i am still trying to find my way around this site and will now try to find and post my query in the "general rodding tech" forum. thank you for your reply.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Missing You

Last photo:

Hey Man,

Welcome to Hotrodders. I have a '78 Bronco as well, its got a built 429 and runs like a scalded dog. Pics of mine can be found here.

Go check out www.ProjectBronco.com, a site dedicated specifically to the '78/'79 Broncos. There's also www.FullSizeBronco.com that's for all big Broncos, but most of the tech is geared towards wheeling.

There's a fella with a '78 that has a 521 stroker motor that he drag races and it runs low 11's in the 1/4. His registry page with all his engine specs and racing videos can be found here.

I would imagine getting it to tote the tires would take quite a bit of horsepower and a lot of suspension work, along the lines of converting the Bronco to 2WD to get the weight off the front end. If you're just working with $6,000 I think you would be a lot happier putting that money into the 429/460 swap - which is quite easy as the 351M/400 shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern on the C6 as the 429/460 - and just make a bad ***** street cruiser with enough power to walk it sideways. I know mine will and with the lopey cam, it gives me perma-grin every time I fire it up.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.