78 Camaro Clip under 52 Chevy pick up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

78 Camaro Clip under 52 Chevy pick up

My questions is how much caster adjustment well a set of "Offset inner (upper) control shafts allow? So far I have looked at Moog K6146 and Global West #705.

Also, are these my only choices?

Currently I have 2 degree negative on the passenger and 1.5 on the driver side. All other alignment specs are OK according to my front end alignment guy. Just the caster seems to be an issue.

To provide some background, I changed the coil springs with spacer to gain ride height to prevent tire rubbing issues. I purchased the truck with clip already installed at that time it was drivable but needed body work, glass etc etc and was not road ready.

All components of the front end are new and have been replaced. Less than a hundred miles.

I plan on calling MOOG and Global West, however, I like getting educated from the folks here,THANK in advance for your replys.

When driving the truck I have "NO" pulling from one side to the other, no vibration, top speed I have tested it so far was 90 mph.

Randy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 PM

78 Camaro clip under 52 Chevy pickup

Called Moog and Global West today, they both are 3/16 inch of an offset. Which leads to another question is this enough offset to correct my caster?

I currently have no shims on either side.

Global did say at best guess without the all the alignment readings, this offset should allow for 1 to 11/4 degree toward the positive for me. That would put me at about 1/2 degree negative caster on driver side and 1 degree negative on the passenger.

Another option that Global gave was to go with their CTA-71 upper control arms that would allow up to 5 degree positive caster adjustment, and they would be compatible with my stock lower control arms, springs etc.

Any thoughts are comments would be appreciated

Randy
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
What is your camber settings? If you have no shims that seems like the logical place to start, simply shim it.

There must be a reason you are talking about an offset shaft without shimming it, I have to assume it already has too little camber?

It's a shame someone welded this front on there without checking the upper control arm shaft angle.

Typically a half degree more caster on the right than the left is perfectly fine and use to be standard practice as it corrects for the crown in the road that we use to more commonly have. The trucks still will have a degree or more recommended specs.

You need more caster on both sides of course, but with what you have they side to side is fine.

Brian
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 PM

78 camaro clip under 52 chevy pick

You are correct... it is the "camber setting" that I am referring to not caster. (What a Bozo I am sometimes!!!).

The upper shafts are on the in board side, with what I understand these require the removal of spacers to get toward a more postive number for camber with my clip? Right now I am Driver side: -1.5 and pass side is -2.

Truck drives great as I said before, but, I also understand that the camber setting affects tire wear and I do not have enough miles (appox 200) to see that effect.

The conversation I had with my front end guy today, is the offset shaft would improve the camber setting. I didn't think to ask what is a good camber setting that we are trying to acheive. Looking at stocks specs on the internet for 78 camaro:
camber 1.00 +/- 0.81
caster 1.00 +/- 1.00
total toe 0.25 +/- 0.13

Thanks for your reply
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

Yep that is a bit much negative camber but those offset shafts will fix it right up.

Brian
Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Thanks for some encouraging news.

Conversations with MOOG, Global West and internet research say that the offset shaft should get me about 1 degree to 1.25 degree toward the direction I need to be.

Talking strictly specs some places I've read to keep the camber about -.5 of a degree and get into the positive numbers for "CASTOR". I am thinking on this set up I am dealing with the camber will be OK after the shaft change and I will just have to live with what ever Castor that provides.... and that is a question

Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

What I would go with is the shaft that will give you the most camber as possible. If you could get a degree and a half or two degrees that would really be cool so you can shim in the rear one lessening the camber but increasing the caster and get something more balanced.

Those front clips are often welded on to make the frame look perty instead of thinking about the control arm angle. So often there is too little caster and offset shafts have to be installed to correct it. So yours having too little camber sounds like it is lowered by cutting the springs. This brings in the upper ball joint creating the negative camber. But if your caster is in the degree range you will be fine. On the camber again, one degree positive but a half one way or the other is fine.

Brian

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.